What Is The Magic Bullet?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TenTons, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Job security....you limit folks choices buy your question...but your thread your rules. Lots of things should be considered.....there is really no 1 single most important thing in a job...it's always a combination...all the money in the world ain't gonna make a "bad" job tolerable....I worked for the same place for over thirty years before I retired....and I can tell you from experience...there is always more than 1 thing that keeps drivers at a company......always....and believe it or not if you ask a group of retired drivers that question , I'll wager "money" ain't in the top 3 choices they'll give you for staying at a particular company....Good jobs always , pay better than average..that's what makes them attractive at first....but more often than not money isn't the main reason for drivers staying for an entire career...or at the very least more than 10 to 20 years...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    The entire industry is job security.Trucking jobs are like bus stops,there's always one around the corner.Job security is at the bottom of my list in this industry.At any given notice your company could fold but not to worry because theres another trucking job waiting for you.Most looking for work in trucking look first at pay then benefits and you're right,pay isn't going to make you happy and isn't going to make a driver stay.But in order to make a decent living and support family,you need a trucking job that pays the bills .Does'nt matter how happy you are with your job,once those checks start coming in and see what you made,its time to look elsewhere.Family and pay should be equally important.But unfortunately that's not how this industry caters to drivers.

4. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Pattj.... I completely and totally respect your position...But...however my experience was different. Granted I only did OTR for a very short time period..less than 5 years, before getting the job with GSF....and well....there's just no comparing the 2...the food-service industry is an entity all it's own just like OTR..( you have to REALLY want to do either one to stay happy doing either one)....Most OTR jobs drivers don't stay with...very , very demanding on time and the pay is not really comparable to other facets of trucking....but it's a start for lots of folks.

pattyj Thanks this.
  5. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    I've made good money and been treated like dog dirt; now I'm being treated with a ton of respect but the money and equipment are lacking. Tough call but I think respect is more important to me. As in "no, I can't do that run" or "look I can do that but it really screws me over" is listened to and addressed.

Today I was complaining to my DM about how the truck won't idle enough to charge the batteries for overnight use of the bunk heater and saying I was thinking of moving on. 2 hrs later the terminal manager was calling, asking my advise on how to fix it, promising to fix it and asking me to stay. He and I talked for about an hour on my recommendations for improving livability on the rigs.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    TenTons Thanks this.
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    See it naver balances out but hey as long as you're making enough to keep afloat that's all that matters.Even though money is my number 1 priority i'll take any job that I have applied to like now,im not looking at what they pay but if its local work or not.New drivers and trainees don't have a choice either settle for poor pay or don't drive.

TenTons Thanks this.
  7. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    Balance, I agree. I don't think I could narrow it down to 1. All jobs are a compromise as we generally would rather not have to work. :) I want to make the most for my time away from home, be home as often as possible while making as much as possible, and have job stability. The trick is to find the best balance of those for me, I have found it at least for now and am generally happy.

FIFY (Fixed it for you) :)

TenTons and Tonythetruckerdude Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Pay & benefits.

For me it meant hazmat/tanker OTR.

9. Extreme4x4

Extreme4x4 Medium Load Member

Jul 6, 2013
    There are trucking jobs out there, that can give you a great balance. However, they are few and far between.

As for home time, good has a different meaning for different people. For some, it is being home every day. For others, decent time off every week. For others, decent time off a month.

For me, respect was huge. Being treated like you truly matter. Having your GTM come out and ask you how you are doing, if you have any questions or problems, how your wife is doing (calling her by name).............. and asking about your kids (also calling them by name). I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is when you have 160+ drivers at your DC. Having everyone in the office treat you with respect, and the stores you go to, or the vendors you go to. You don't realize how good it can be until you have it.

Of course, the great money, good benefits, fantastic job security, and great consistant home time is a huge bonus. :)

TenTons Thanks this.
  10. koncrete cowboy

koncrete cowboy Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    ......and once again you beat me too it....lol

My answer mirrors yours.....:)

11. TenTons

TenTons Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Iowa
    I had no idea that was a thing. You all are stealing my innocence!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.