What it's like to work for TMC?

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Cpotter8820, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    Likely plate steel or greasy bars or the like. Those loads look short/small, but weigh more than loads that take the entire 48'x108"x13'6' dimensions we can support w/out being OD.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I WAS on the dedicated HD account in Mass and let me tell you, the preloaded trailer scenario only has the benefit of not waiting to be loaded and even then, when the dock workers start marking off, or a holiday is a couple days around the corner, you're still going to wait. Sub par tarp jobs, sub par loading and equally sub par securement. The office was never happy when I refused a trailer that had freight hanging an inch off the rail.

Farva Thanks this.
  4. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    If I never do a Lowes or HD DC load again, I'd be a-ok w/ that.

5. haulit6272

haulit6272 Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2018
    I would never reference a specific discussion board post to anyone.
    It's not that I don't want to touch freight in any shape, form, or fashion. If someone wanted me to learn to operate forklifts and I'm getting paid as much as I would be to drive, I'd be open to that. But I don't want to load trucks by hand, certainly not working for free, just to get out of the dock. (i.e. using a dolly). I heard of a woman having to unload an entire truckload of brooms by herself. It sounded like a delivery to a retail store warehouse. Given the size of trailers, that's a lot of brooms, presumably using a dolly. Then a youtube video showed a guy sitting in his cab, waisting time and losing money , waiting for the receiver to unload his truck. While he waited, there were jobbers, lobbers, whatever they're called, (not store employees, just men off the street) standing around the dock, hoping the driver would cave in and pay them to get on with the unload so he could get out of Dodge. Best I could tell, the driver never caved in, and the company never told him he had to do it himself, but what if the company did? That's what I envision the 1% of the time when I see companies brag that the job is '99% no touch.'
    You must have meant 'manual labor,' unless Jesus himself is showing up to help.
    It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I'm above the avg. new hire age, even though I'm in better shape than most 20 year olds. I used to work out at the gym years ago, but am more into aerobics now. If the physical exam included a 100 yard dash or treadmill test I'd be fine.
    There's a photo on the TMC website that shows a guy carrying something on his shoulder which made me think, "What is that and why is he carrying it?" Then, I saw the video of the physical tests they put the class through, climbing the ladder, etc. Then I read the posts on here about how they must carry and load 100 lb. tarps around successfully or they fail the physical exam and 'get sent home.' (No word yet whether they get a one-way bus ticket home. I've heard 'no' for other companies, and I know that bus tickets are like the airlines, such that if you don't buy your ticket 2-weeks in advance, you'll pay through the nose.) I wouldn't know with 100% certainly if I could lift a 100 lb. tarp onto my shoulders or not, but I'm in better shape than most guys in their 20's. There are no barbells at the gym you get to wrap your arms around to find out. Waiting until you get to Iowa to find out seems a little late to me.
    The TMC videos of the guys doing the physical tests all look under 40, and a couple of people have posted on here how their applications were denied without explanation, and they suspected it was due to their age. I'm trying to avoid using a shotgun approach to applying, and don't ever want to be 'sent home' from any class for any reason. Hence all these questions. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  6. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    It wasn't so much dealing with the DC that sucked, it was the delivery to a lot of the stores as well. Miserable receivers that were P/O'ed they had to operate a fork in the rain. Like I wasn't pissed that I had to roll the tarp and straps in the downpour as well?

Farva Thanks this.
  7. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Yes, if you wash out of their orientation/cdl program then you are given transportation home from the company.

Farva Thanks this.
  8. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota

The steel tarps dry weigh 80lbs.

The Lumber tarps dry weigh 120lbs.

I've yet to touch a dry tarp since my 1st day of orientation w/ the tarp test, because out here OTR, they are always wet or frozen weighing far far more...and if I may be honest, what will likely get me to look at moving out of linehaul sooner rather than later.

I'm 155lbs, 41 y/o, and run marathons (26.2 + miles) for fun and in great shape, but these tarps are not to be taken lightly (no pun intended).

We only had 1 guy sent home for not being able to pass the tarp test. Is it impossible? No, it can be passed. Many do it each and every Monday. Will it be a challenge for most? Absolutely.

We had a former NFL player in our class that could get these tarps up w/ 1-hand and could just step up onto the deck of a trailer...seeing that really hurt my heart, being I'm so much smaller, but I did it and continue to throw these tarps around out here OTR.

If you get sent home, you will put on a bus back to your home.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. haulit6272

haulit6272 Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2018
    What is OD?

10. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Over dimension, too long or too wide.

11. Farva

Farva Light Load Member

Oct 23, 2018
    South Dakota
    That's what she said

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.