what should i do after placed oos

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by selinrosa, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    When you get this order, it is a stop operation order and it is in writing.

a truck is put out of service because of a safety issue,

if you got a out of service order, it legally has to be in written form, the officer has to explain what, why and how it is corrected.

if your authority is suspended that means you can travel but you can’t legally take any work.

Edit - the suspension has a travel limit, if you do not have insurance, the truck can’t move,

Doealex, selinrosa and Suspect Zero Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    As someone (who is an authority holder) you summed up this issue MUCH better than I did!

4. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    They were probably allowed to drive because the trailer was empty.

I was on a load with KLB one time and got pulled over by Ohio SP. Breeden had forgotten to make the call to keep their authority active (must be done every two years) so I was placed OOS. Cop was real nice about it and waited around while the call was made and authority reinstated.

selinrosa and 650cat425 Thank this.
  5. selinrosa

selinrosa Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2020
    thanks. Mine was on a weekend. so the CHP let me drive back to yard first...on the report it said the driver was oos until federal OOS resolved, which my carrier said would take 3 weeks to become active again. I'm pretty new to this industry, may i ask if did the oos impact you in anyway?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  6. selinrosa

Aug 30, 2020
    When i looked up carrier's DOT on FMCSA website, the operating status shows OOS, instead of suspended. that's why my OP was confusing to someone. The CHP put me OOS until the federal OOS resolved.

7. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN

You don't do anything. The company has to make a phone call. It's like a newspaper subscription... the authority is good for X amount of time and then it has to be renewed.

selinrosa Thanks this.
  8. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    I would say he was saying you can't/shouldn't haul anything for the company that was put out if service due to their authority being cancelled. I would phone them to see if the trucking company has fixed the issue. If not. Give them proof of your resignation or paperwork showing you are leased to a new company. If you have your own plates and bobtail ins they can only stop you from using their authority to haul loads not use you own truck to bobtail home or take your own empty trailer home if you own the trailer also.

selinrosa Thanks this.
  9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    You’re just gonna have to sit and cool your heels until the authority holder gets their heads out of their butts and gets this issue resolved. For your purposes 00S and suspended means the same, and that simple meaning Is stay off the road until you’re told it’s OK to do so! That is tough words I understand, but right now based upon your words in this thread you’re stuck! But I highly advise you once this gets resolved you might want to change who you drive for.

selinrosa Thanks this.
  10. selinrosa

Aug 30, 2020
    Right, i'm in the process of getting my own authority now. The next challenge gonna be finding loads with new DOT, MC. Wish me luck. Thanks for all your replies.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.