What Should My Backup Plan Be?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Touch Freight Freddy, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    May be a way to be hired since you didn't attend a school. Tell the company you're really motivated to work there and would be willing to go through that training program. There's a chance they'll hire you and just do some training on the yard, then hit the road with a trainer.

Touch Freight Freddy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Trucking is a different animal and some people maybe can't adjust to it. Most people can though.

4. Touch Freight Freddy

Touch Freight Freddy Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2021
    That's fine for people who have signed on for full-on OTR life, but one would think that advertising "home weekends" has something to do with actually seeing your family, which you barely will.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I didn't have a problem with that. Did the home weekend thing for a long time because with a wife and 4 children I needed a good income and good pay. Sure, the shorter weekends happened, but I had a goal for my family and me so put up with it to reach that goal. Later I did full OTR. Now, due to that work discipline and sacrifice, we live the good life. So having said all that, depends on what your personal goals are to decide if trucking is for you.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's an example of the Line Haul companies ads:
    ~
    Fill out the form below to begin the application process. After you hit "Apply," a recruiter will call you and help you finish the process. It's that simple! Dock Worker positions also available.
    100% Paid Health Insurance for You AND Your Family.
    ~

One driver on this forum acquired his cdl 10 years ago, and never used it. Now, 10 yrs. later, decided to change careers and go into trucking. He had no problem finding a good job and the ad I posted above is from the company he went to. I think he worked the yard and docks a couple weeks, then started driving with a trainer. Now he's home every night. He was never required to go OTR.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    Touch Freight Freddy Thanks this.
  7. leviant0107

leviant0107 Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Detroit, MI
    Currently on my last of 2 days with Sysco to go into tanker work starting Monday.

NC has good weather, if you’re in shape…try food service. You can and will get PAID. No experience necessary.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Papa John's International, Inc.
    5301 Waterfield Drive, Garner, NC 27529
    Up to $89,000 a year
    This company had an ad a couple months ago hiring driver trainee.
    Normally want 12 mos. experience, but sometimes will hire a trainee with no experience.
    The ad had, run teams and home every day.
    Drivers based out of Garner, NC can take advantage of a long list of industry-leading benefits:
    • Top performing drivers can average up to $89,000/year
    • $20,000 sign-on bonus
    • $10,000 driver referral bonus
    • Steady year-round work with a private fleet
    • Competitive benefit package including health insurance, dental, vision, disability/life insurance, 401K
    • Free College Programs
    • Uniforms provided & cleaned
    • Work boot allowance
    • upload_2021-12-10_13-4-36.jpeg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.