What should one know before driving into NYC?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by zoekatya, Apr 12, 2013.

1. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Know where you are going and how to get there and how to get out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Preplan is the best! Also during your preplan make sure to make a few alternates because chances are one of your routes will be detoured. If there is any way you can do it at night I suggest waiting until after 10pm until going in. Then make your escape before sun rise or after 10 - 11 am.

KNOW YOUR ROUTE!!! Bridges and roads!

Bring plenty of toll money.... its expensive!

Relax and enjoy yourself. It can be a lot of fun going into the city especially at night! Find yourself a good deli to stop in! Prepare yourself for lots of oneway streets and tight areas. At night cars park on both sides of the road making turning very tight. Slide your tandems all the way forward as soon as you have the opportunity. Keep your doors locked and try not to leave your truck out of sight. Not to worry you, just a good precaution. Like anywhere else its safe for the most part but there are some bad areas here and there.

Whatever you do, do not rely on your GPS! This will surely get you in big trouble in the city!

Good luck to you!

zoekatya Thanks this.
  4. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Just a little something to add....

Though I don't always condone this it may behoove you to drive a little on the offensive side rather than defense. If you are waiting for someone to let you over or stop and wait for you to back up or make a turn, it isn't going to happen. Switching lanes you will have to put your turn signal on and just gradually move over. Same with making turns. Make your turn! Make the four wheelers part ways or back up if necessary. Same goes for backing. You do need to use extra caution because nobody is going to stop for you. They will be racing behind you, in front of you etc... Do what you need to get it done and use extra caution.

This is just a little tip that can pertain to anywhere but when in a city (or anywhere for that matter) if you are driving down the road and are close to the curb or side of the road be weary of telephone poles, posts, signs etc... that lean. You may clear them at ground level however they maybe leaning just enough to not clear the top of your trailer. Bridges too! Try to stay more toward the center of the road.

Another thing that you can look forward too is that in NYC many shippers/receivers docks and warehouses are under buildings or underground. The chances of you finding yourself backing into one of these is high. If possible, park first and check out the situation. Try as best you can to find someone to help you out or spot you. They can also help stop traffic.

5. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    I still remember the first time I saw that sign. I pulled right over to the shoulder and waited for a few other big trucks to fly past me. I then got on the CB and everyone knew I was a virgin in this area. They said to ignore that sign. A CB will also help you in those local areas but be weary, there are alot of A- Holes out there as well.

FatDaddy and zoekatya Thank this.
  6. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    Yellow height signs are the old signs for bridges and white ones are new, they use two different ways to calculate too.

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Are you going to deliver to NYC?Plan your route and replan to make sure.Does'nt hurt to write your route down.Call the customer.Hopefully they'll give you the best directions.I have a NYC atlas and it works great.Got me to where I was suppose to be.DO NOT take the wrong exit.That could mean a huge mistakeGet in the right lane as soon as possible.NYC is rude and have this (IT'S ALL ABOUT ME ATTITUDE).You should go to NYC as early as possible like 2 0r 3 am.At least you won't have the traffic to worry about.But getting out may be a different story.Plan on a good 2 hrs before you're finally out of NYC.Don't depend on your GPS for help.He or she,whatever gps voice you use probably will get you all messed up.Also plan your turns ahead of time.Otherwise it could be 10 mintes before you finally make the turn.I never had problems but seen drivers that have.Which gave me the idea to stick my head and arm out the window telling the traffic to stay back.

zoekatya Thanks this.
  8. maffy95

maffy95 Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2012
    That's all good but they also have put up a large orange sign stating 12'2 at the Brooklyn bridge on the BQE... so what does orange mean? BTW they have recently re-paved the area under the Brook. Br. so now it looks more uninviting... so for the out of town drivers this is a little intimidating and I can tell you this ... I have been under there since '86 and it never feels comfortable!!! I always get that nervous feeling...please explain how THEY calculate the height?

zoekatya Thanks this.
  9. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    the old way from what I've been told was to measure from the center of the axle. The newer signs are actual height.

zoekatya Thanks this.
  10. biggare1980

biggare1980 Medium Load Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Springfield, Ohio
    You beat me to it..lol!!

zoekatya Thanks this.
  11. maffy95

maffy95 Light Load Member

Oct 20, 2012
    I will just say this DO NOT LISTEN TO WHAT YOU HEAR!!! I see or hear (thru the news) of hundreds of trucks striking low bridges in NYC... this place is no joke and you will be sweating thru your clothes on a 20 degree day if you are not careful. The entire debate about height signs has almost taken on an urban legend status...once heard a driver explain why he hit the low bridge... he claimed the bridge descended on the roof of the truck... really!!! The best knowledge you can get is from the home town drivers that drive here everyday... I have seen 12'2 that you fit under and 11'8 that you don't... all driving a 13'6...

crb Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.