What the heck is this Comcheck? (or authorization check?)

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JazWife, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    That response to my sig cracked me up! That's funny! I've been using that line for years. I think it's cool that Celadon and other companies have things set up for a variety of options for accessing pay. Eventually, things will get to the point where we can do direct deposit, which would save me time and driving. Right now, I am finally to the point where I am not running out of money before running out of week! It'll be close this week, but I have to drop $20 on a prescription for muscle relaxers because I'm having some bad days with my back.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    ouch - I know about the back thing. Fortunately, I've known about it since before I was old and decrepit so I take care of my back. I'm sometimes stiff, but nothing bad so far.

We'd get along fine on my wife's pay (well, ok.. it would be thin, but we could do it) except we have 4 dogs, 3 cats, and two teen-aged boys. Oh, and a disabled friend living with us until the government gets its collective head out of the methane. You can guess where MY check goes.

Re the sig... I came up with that one because my wife used to use the dynomite/nitro line (she's 5'6" or so, compared to my 6'6"). There are, of course, variants ("You couldn't survive without a nuclear fire", "Atomic bombs keep you up all night".. and so on)

4. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    I only stand 5'2"!

With my back, it's disc degeneration along with a couple of other issues, such as bursitis. I seem to go in cycles where I'm pretty much fine, but the cycles are getting shorter and shorter! What's really annoying is our insurance may be considering this pre-existing, so they may not cover anything for a while. Sure, it's pre-existing, but it had been a year and a half since I last received any treatment for it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will cover it, as I will probably have to be going back to the doc in a couple of weeks again.

5. Lurchgs

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    ouch.

However, to show that there are people worse off than you <grin> I present my houseguest: half his discs are gone. His spine suffers both from spurs and degeneration - as a result, he's permanently in a great deal of pain. A good day is a day in which he doesn't see stars at the edges of his vision. The meds he takes at any given time (he's about your height, maybe 120 pounds) would kill me outright - and he takes them 6-8 times a day.

I could go on.

( I remember once I had to go to the clinic for his meds cuz he couldn't move. I walked out with a 30 day supply - stuffing a large grocery bag. Over 10 pounds of pills. It wasn't until I was nearly home that it occurred to me that if I got stopped by the police for any reason, I was gonna have fun explaining 10 pounds of very tightly controlled narcotics prescribed to somebody else)

$20 doesn't seem so bad now, does it? :)

6. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    No, $20 doesn't sound bad at all by comparison. Just got back from picking up the meds. Eventually, I may have to have surgery, but I'm not there yet. I have two that are going, and I'm in no hurry to have a fusion done. My dad had that done around 10 years ago, and his went very well. He was back in the seat of a rig in 14 weeks. I hope I inherited his luck with the surgery, since I inherited the back problem from him in the first place.

7. Lurchgs

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    oh suuuure! blame the guy! :)

8. Git_R_Done

Git_R_Done Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Maricopa, Arizona
    this is confusing for me I'm hopefully going start working for May next month can I just have my paycheck DD into my normal bank account so I can just use my debit card when I need it?

9. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Not having access to money on the road can be a good thing LOL
    My brother pretty much blew any thing he could get his hands on
    So much temptation

10. JazWife

JazWife Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    GitRDone - I don't know May's policies, (most companies do indeed set you up with DD immediately) but if you have to use the comcheck for awhile, it's not so bad, as I found out yesterday. In a nutshell: (as explained so nicely to me by Lilbit)
    Step 1- call and register it. Step 2- fill out the check w/your pay amount. Step 3 - take it to the bank. They call and get authorization number.

Lurch - I feel for your houseguest. Daily extreme pain = so terrible.
    Lilbit - Sorry to hear you have back woes as well, I hope you can get a fusion done, and recover nicely like your Dad did !

11. honor roll

honor roll Road Train Member

Mar 7, 2008
    NW OHIO
    Celadon's insurance doesn't like pre-existing things we are having problems with that right now with my hubby, but our meds are cheap

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.