What the...

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by rhitrucking, Feb 16, 2019.

1. rhitrucking

rhitrucking Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    They still have some stuff available on there website for purchase.

DUNE-T Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    OMG how bad they messed up this industry !

I read in truckers magazine that frozen DEF and def fluid related problems is #1 road assistance call here on canadian roads, years ago was flat tires.

4. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    They dont sell deletes but they do sell that reset module. Clears codes, does dealership level regens, resets soot levels and does learned data resets.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Trcknwolf

Trcknwolf Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Bellevue, NE
    THIS is just 1 of the many reasons I don't & never will own a truck with so called "emissions" junk the EPA thinks is "good" & "a better solution" for the environment. Not good for your pocket book or the life of the truck either.

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  6. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Really it's a good thing but the way they implement is bad.

Like having a dangerous 5mph derate on the road. That's IDIOTIC bureaucracy right there..

The emissions systems have really cleaned up the diesels and in the ten years they've been out, they've made huge improvements.

The def crystallization is most often from idling and low power operation in cold climates. Heat is your friend and idling is bad for any motor and now emissions systems also.

Really these emissions systems should be heat blanketed the whole way from manifold to the SCR box. It would virtually eliminate things like this post and increase the efficiency of the whole system along with better exhaust flow.
    For most people, being in passive regen a higher amount of the time would be a very good thing for economy and DPF life.

Onemanshow Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im going to ask a simple question. I hope you understand where I am going with this question.

Isnt that Pyrometer at 1400 pulling upgrade enough heat at the exhaust manifold? The way you all are talking that Re-genning is a second source of really high heat if not more than that at Pyro.

Are we trying to burn that stuff and cremate it up the stack in a regen? That's a pile of what looks like concrete to me. I don't know very much and am biased against the technology, but dear me I am interested in learning... ugh.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. Newto Trucking

Newto Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    NE Illinois
    D13 engines don’t go that high on the exhaust temperature. Maybe 800 at the most. What engine are you talking, what hp that does 1400 F

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Yeah 800F is usually tops , maybe 850 once in a blue moon..
    Cruise is usually 650-700 +/-

SCR system wants minimum 500F to stay efficient and not have any buildup(crystallization)

DPF wants about 700F or better to have optimal passive regen. It likes heat to turn the 60um+ soot into ash smaller than 10um and pass through the DPF

Most of the white you see in the stack is usually the SCR trucks and the result of the ammonia DEF conversion .. it rinses away quickly with water leaving a shiny exhaust stack underneath. Like my 2016, you can still wipe the inside at 435k and it's shiny and clean.

So yeah keeping that heat in the system by reducing the loses in the substantial piping will help increase the health and efficiency of the system to cremate the soot into ash and also scrub the nox

Volvo8873 and Newto Trucking Thank this.
  10. tseders93

tseders93 Bobtail Member

May 4, 2014
    @KB3MMX have you seen any performance increase with the Turbo Blanket, I've seen a few videos claiming 3-4psi increase on small turbo cars along with 100ft/lbs torque (both numbers claimed are under load, not peak numbers), but nothing for rigs.

Essentially they're saying the extra power is only under acceleration and that it can be attained sooner when compared to numbers taken without a blanket

11. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I don't have it on the truck as a power performance goal, it's an efficiency improvement.

The VVT turbo boost level is electrically controlled by the computer. It opens and closes the vanes to control boost to a Target pressure that's depending on operating conditions such as egr % , coolant temp, barometric pressure, Throttle, Rpm, regen state, load, etc.....

The blanket increases thermal efficiency so you'll see a little faster spoolup and so forth... Cooler under hood temp.. small hp and tq gains.
    If it was a cranked up high power motor it would be even more beneficial.

In a truck you won't feel much in the seat unless it's at least a 50hp change and that's pretty minor difference in feel as well.

Again, it's about efficiency and the goal here...

Yes, the thermal efficiency effect is only under heat load scenarios which require fuel delivery, throttle. All heat ranges are affected (it's not only working at full power only)
    Light throttle will retain more thermal efficiency too.. That's where you can improve spoolup etc

What I've seen;

-Sightly faster spoolup on throttle roll.
    -More stable boost pressures pulling hills.
    -Less soot level accumulation in dpf
    -Faster passive regen , dropping soot levels

*The one i like the most is the DPF soot doesn't rise nearly as fast and the passive regen drops the soot back down noticeably faster.

I'd like to see how much better it could be with even more blanketing of the emissions system, especially the DPF canister...

There is sooooooo much heat loss in that area it's insane... All of that is energy needed to passively regen and to keep the DEF from crystallization..... And to keep the SCR healthy at 500°F+

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Rob100100 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.