What the...

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by rhitrucking, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Rob100100

Rob100100 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2016
    I took a look at Amazon, they have quite a few choices but which brand or make did you buy? Thinking this might be a good buy. Thanks for your help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Amram

Amram Medium Load Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Yeah. Share some infos on where to buy. I will get one for my truck.

4. BigRedSA

BigRedSA Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2019
    USA
    Got any of that "DEF crust" left over?

5. Aleks_Andar

Aleks_Andar Bobtail Member

Sep 11, 2015
    This guy replaced def doser, bellows pipe with all the gaskets and clamps and still dripping def outside the system..

Attached Files:

6. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Firm believer in turbo blankets and thermal pipe wrap. when in Military I use to rebuild engines mostly 2 stroke Detroit at the time, Cummins 903 and big cam 400’s use to have thermal blankets installed on manifolds and turbo’s. Helped a lot with warm up times, slobbering from long idle times and such.
    Want to put on my DD15’s but Detroit and Freightliner have warned me not too. Says they could deny warranty?. WTF
    So I haven’t done it yet

7. Rob100100

Rob100100 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Is that liquid def or is it the crystallization on the ground in the 2nd pic. The first pic shows alot of the crystallization which is usually caused by the system not running hot enough. How much idling is done. Try to reduce idling as much as possible mas newer trucks do not seem to have as much of a problem but older ones sure did. Might be a solution might not. Just my guess.

8. Aleks_Andar

Aleks_Andar Bobtail Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Rob, thanks for the info. This just happened 2 weeks ago.. Volvo Dealer replaced Def Doser unit, fuel injector valve, bellow pipe with new gaskets clamps.. And still same.. On the picture I performed Regen- Crystal Sublimation and after 20 min started to dropping def

9. 6cuda6

6cuda6 Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2020
    Holy jeeze!! I have noticed in some of the exhaust replacement vids ive seen this kind of build up of crystals in the bottom of the decomp re-actor.....if i saw that on the vehicles we build i'd say the doser return was plugged and its overflowing out of the dosing injector or the decomp was not hot enough for the injection rate......did they check flow rates wben they did all that work? Did the tech not have eyeballs the size of saucers when he saw that or did he just laugh and say thats nothing......?

10. badwordteddy

badwordteddy Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Take a look at the last part of the dpf stack, I call it bed pan (I am sure that there is more of a Volvo name for it), it's nothing more than a canister with temp and NOx sensor, def doser lives there as well , but the part where it connects to the "reaction/decomposition pipe" , just before the clamp and after the factory weld, it tends to crack, letting all that white stuff out.
    Easy fix with a welder, I had it done not to long ago, but one spot was missed, contemplating using jb weld high heat for temp fix...
    Well worth having, had a buddy of mine purchase this, he never looked back, it paid itself off first time he had to force a Regen. I personally prefer jpro.
    Diesel Laptops Handheld Heavy-Duty Scan Tool with Regen

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.