What to do when a shipper does not pay a broker?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by FlashBolt, Jul 20, 2017.

1. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Who the customer is is the most important factor here and it's not being talked about by the OP. If the customer is highly credit worthy then this is 100% normal and he needs to just live with however long it takes for them to pay. Often large companies will stretch their days to pay out as far as 45, 60 or even 90 days. This is a huge reason why some (even somewhat large) companies need factoring.

If the customer isn't credit worthy this whole situation is very concerning. I don't believe in subprime freight brokerage AT ALL and a catastrophic credit event is one of the last things I'm still exposed to that could actually ruin me financially. Operating your own freight brokerage when you think you can file against your own bond to collect from your customers demonstrates a complete lack of understanding about the basics of the business, and I consider it to be insanely dangerous. I wish the OP some serious luck because he's going to need it.

noluck and Ruthless Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dryside

dryside Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2016
    that has been

4. dryside

Oct 16, 2016
    that has been my experience also, i cal 25 days after billing to see what their answer is to "have you received out invoice"

5. dryside

Oct 16, 2016

6. dryside

Oct 16, 2016
    my experience is if payment is not in the mail in 45 days from billing you will have a hard time getting it. you need to get a check number from them in 30 days. don't be rude ;just annoying with persistence.they are supposed to pay in two weeks but most have put 30 day pay right in the contracts; and you signed it.

7. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    This is one of those things where you need to be able to read and comprehend contracts. I had one last year that stated they would pay in 30 days, but only if THEIR customer paid them.

dryside and Ruthless Thank this.
  8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I had a sammons contract with that verbage.
    I accepted because it was a military move.

9. GoldOlive

GoldOlive Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Hire a freight factoring company...research them...they will pay you the agreed upon amount and charge you a percentage for their services, however the convenience is worth it.....Moreover, it is certainly better to get paid right away than to not get paid at all....Pay for the convenience fellow trucker and your money is assured...Much success to you..

7seriestv Thanks this.
  10. Exams Broker

Exams Broker Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Go to a factoring company and get your money from them if your money's tight. But get ready to pay at least 6 percent for them to take it and hope that they don't turn it down cause the shipper has bad credit.

11. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    My company offers factoring at 2.9% I think and they are having trouble finding people at that rate. I suspect money is really cheap right now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.