What to Do When Company Doesn't Pay You

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by truck909, Nov 15, 2011.

1. AOSMAN2015

AOSMAN2015 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2017
    i was ripped off by a Road carriers Inc trucking company based in darien IL, Quick summary of reparation
    $110 lay offers
    $259 hotel, taxi and other expenses
    $8,000 deposit money
    Plus any other money they deduced from my loads since they never gave me a confirmation for rate load. OWNER OF THE COMPANY NEVER ANSWERS HIS PHONE, ANY HELP?

2. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Nope, no help. See, we didn't read your contract so we have no idea if those are valid charges.

Metalicious Thanks this.
  3. MB. Tranzport LLC

MB. Tranzport LLC Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2020
    Nevada

4. MB. Tranzport LLC

MB. Tranzport LLC Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2020
    Nevada
    Is contacting the shipper legal

5. truckergirl633

truckergirl633 Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2020
    So many trucking companies don't pay drivers for whatever the reason may be. Most drivers will give up after awhile and think there is nothing they can do, when in fact there is something you can do, it just takes filling out some paperwork. Two times an employer has not paid after my husband gave notice he was quiting. Within a week both paid here is how I did it...first sent an email advising them it is illegal to hold pay or take deductions both parties have not agreed on previously. It is simple to find out the laws in your state about not getting paid or illegal deductions. Google your state DOL it's all right there.. copy and paste sections with the statues that are relevant to your situation. Tell them they have until the next payday to give you your money, attach a letter titled unpaid wages letter of intent to collect wages. Next if you don't receive your money by the dead line you can go on line to your DOL and file a complaint I suggest filing it under illegal deductions.. reason being the DOL is only structured to collect minimum wage for the hours you worked, put the total amount they owe you, after filing you fill out a certificate of service, in illinois that's what is called your state may call it something else, this is required by DOL, This is to notify the employer a complaint has been filed with the DOL. Send via email with tracking or return receipt so when they open it you get a message they received it. Always leave a paper trail put everything in writing! In that email state if pay isn't received by the date you specify next step filing a complaint with FMCSA online it becomes a part of the companies permanent record in the national consumer complaint database. I could go on and on about steps to take, my favorite is if you are classified as a contractor receive a 1099 but you are really an employee.. the IRS website has a very detailed brochure explaining the difference.. if you have been mis classified.. you can fill out a SS-8 form, it's a little lengthy, but quite effective. You don't even have to file it because after you send them a copy of the SS-8 form and the brochure, give them one last deadline before you submit it to the IRS and launch an investigation into their practices... The odds are you will get your money. With all that being said it's important to know the federal laws and your state laws about withholding pay.. it is illegal no matter what!! Until the drivers take a stand and don't let them get away with it they will continue doing it. There are many things you can do to get your money but follow through with everything let them know you won't stop. I have so many tips and examples, to much to share here. Trucker's sacrifice a lot to keep this country running with no appreciation!! I might not drive but I sit in the passenger seat and live the trucker's life! I will say this gives me a lot of time to research and plot my attack. I hope this has been helpful an informative. Remember, do what you say and say what you mean!
    Good luck,
    Trucker Girl633

6. flybynight12

flybynight12 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2015
    slc
    Knight transportation didnt pay me I quit filed a claim with the department of labor submitted trip sheets was paid within a month

7. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    You all do realize that you are responding to a thread first made in 2011, with an OP that only has that single post in this entire site?

8. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    But the guy may still be sitting at home waiting for that check to come in the mail.

9. Lumper Humper

Lumper Humper Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The thread necromancers have been hard at work lately lol

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.