What to drive?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by supertrucker, Nov 9, 2006.

Which would you pick?

1. *

Autocar

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  2. *

Peterbilt

65 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. *

Kenworth

71 vote(s)
    28.7%
  4. *

Mack

10 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. *

Freightliner

29 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. *

Sterling/ Ford

4 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. *

Volvo

48 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. *

Marmon

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  9. *

International

15 vote(s)
    6.1%
  10. *

GMC

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  11. *

White

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  12. *

other

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I know they're not gonna make the 379 anymore, and I also know that my afore mentioned admiration for owning said truck is a pipe dream that if it were to come true would become a nightmare. As I implied, I will never become an O/O.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. redrocker1055

redrocker1055 Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2006
    michigan
    Do they even make autocar,anymore? The only one i have ever seen was in the sly stallone movie, OVER THE TOP( great movie)....
    AS far as my choice, i have only drove kenworth W900lL's, and one T600( did not care, for it), I don't care what it looks like(as long as it's clean), I don't drive to have a nice truck..... I drive to have a nice life.....:king:

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    NO. Volvo bought them out shortly after they bought White.

5. supertrucker

supertrucker Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Lost Highway
    Well Kenworth is in the lead so which series do you like?
    Personally I like the T600s:thumbright:

6. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Nothing wrong with those. The set-back front axle should help a little with manuevering.

7. TruckingNoob

TruckingNoob Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2006
    My parents drive a 2005 Volvo 780 with a 565 Cummins, a 13speed, and 3.70 rears, a very comfy and quick truck. But if I went O/O I would probably go with the International 9900IX with a 525 Cummins and 13 speed and other goods just because I've like Internationals since birth and I usually drive a 9900i for a company truck too bad all the campany trucks ar gutless, they are detuned from 500hp the about 410hp backed by a 10speed and locked at 65mph talk about a long hual lol take you twice as long to get where you are going.

8. Brad

Brad Bobtail Member

May 22, 2006
    I would choose International hands down. Over the last 15 years we have owned a few of everything but petes. The Kenworths are overhyped piles. Never will we own another. The volvo's were ok, nothing spectacular. We have two freightliners now. A 99 century and a 96 fld. They aren't bad trucks, but I still prefer my international. I am a big guy, and KW and Pete are just too cramped for me. After 50 miles in the kenworth I would feel like someone had beat me. I had to choose either letting the air out of the seat or slouching in the seat to see out of the window. If I sat upright with the seat aired up I can't see very far down the road. I have the same problem to a lesser extent in the freigtliners, but not at all in the internationals. I drove a 379 pete on an 800 mile run once. It rode nice, but it had the same issues as the kenworth as far as room. It's biggest fault though is in getting it into and out of places. My god, gimme 40 acres is an understatement.
    Chrome and lights aren't for me. I drive these things to make money. I'll spray it off every month or so, but I don't really care if turn any heads. When I am 55 and I look at my bank account, it will make me feel a lot better to see those dollars than it does to see my reflection in my truck. Truck for dough, not for show.

9. Bucks Owin

Bucks Owin Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2007
    I've driven a few brands, Freightshaker, Pete, Ford, International, Volvo and KW. My favorite is the W900L.....

FWIW,

Bucks Owin'

BTW, I once saw a stock '57 KW for sale in Bend OR for $5,000 and it was a REALLY cool looking truck! I daydreamed for a long time about driving a "truck rod" consisting of that cab mounted on a late model chassis with a big power 3406 or C-15. Sidepipes, big condo, flames, lights.....sigh :smt103

10. jamwadmag

jamwadmag Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    I drive Centurys, Volvos, and 379 Petes (both 250 & 265" WB). You can't beat the Pete's ride!! But, is flat-top with cramped/dark sleeper. Great gauges!! I go with NannyB on Volvo, but NOT for the ride! Volvos are ergonomically much more friendly with: visibility (big windows/no stack on side), including w/w system, interior room, more power points, tight steering, great display to monitor trk/trip functions, etc. Volvos do have a history of electrical problems. (driven Volvos 98, 2000, 2002, 2003-2006). The worst thing that I can say about them is this; they 'fuse' the trlr lites inside the fuse panel---should use self-resetting thermal CB's like most trks! (believe offered optionally?)

11. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Why not just replace the fuse with a breaker?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.