What to expect from an end dump job?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by motocross25, Jul 9, 2017.

1. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    So there is a local outfit in the St. Louis area hiring dump drivers. Both Class A & B. Class B they are starting out at $20/ hr Class A they are starting at 29% of the load. Guaranteed year round work they claim, uniforms, 401(k), and company paid health insurance. Vacation and holidays paid, home daily the whole 9. My buddy is kicking around the idea about the Class A side and we were talking. Point of this is, how hard is it to learn the ins and outs of end dump? We've all heard the horror stories of electric lines overhead and keeping it level and the old adhage "There's 2 types of end dump drivers. Those who have turned one over, and those who are going to." I do not discern the danger of the job in those regards but as far as the day to day operations what can one expect? I know that's a loaded question but are most end dumps transferring material from say jobsite to clean fill, or is rock spreading involved? We are totally green in the subject and I thought I'd get on here and pick the experienced brains about it. He has a good record been driving for 10+ years, does a lot of that carry over or is it a whole new ballgame forget what you think you know about truck driving type deal? Also, as previous stated we know nothing, is 29% a decent going rate? I know what to look for in CPM but not by load. Thanks in advance to any and all replies.

RoadRooster Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Depends on how they are setup...
    It takes a day to learn the basics of end dump, I normally just feed concrete plants with sand and rock from local quarries.
    It's very rare to see an end dump fall over btw. Normally it's from high wind, as you'll see the mast leaning if you're lifting on uneven ground.

How would you spread the rock? You just dump it, crews will spread it out with front loaders.

29% of net or gross?

motocross25 and RoadRooster Thank this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Depends on what your doing......

are you feeding an asphalt or concrete plant ? Those places are usually the easiest to dump at plus it's all processed material.

On the opposite end is hauling into a landfill.... ground is soft as you know what and material is probably crap too....

Is this a day cab or sleeper deal...?

JimmyWells and motocross25 Thank this.
  5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    You gotta get out more....lol

Takes a lot more than a day to get good at it.... :)

6. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I just said a day to learn the basics lol.
    We aren't allowed to spread like that where I work, safety would have a heart attack lol.

Our trailers are quite a bit longer also, moving like that they would start swaying lol.

JimmyWells and motocross25 Thank this.
  7. motocross25

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Wow you guys don't mess around replying. Thank you. @ExOTR yea I didn't know how common that was for them to tip over. And I'm not sure on the pay the ad just says "29% of haul rate". I know nothing of end dump lingo. Sooooo I dunno what that means. But thank you for bringing that up that would be a good question to ask. And @Cat sdp I know one of the drivers said it's a lot of topsoil and quarry work. So again. I don't know what quarry work is. Maybe getting the gravel out of the crusher and goin over to dump it in the designated area? And yes sir it is day cab. I know they used to have 1 if not a couple trucks with like coffin sleepers but I haven't seen them in a long time. Someone said it was utilized mainly for winter if they hafta go a ways to get salt to bring back. Also thanks for the video that is what I was referring to. That seems to be an advanced technique.

8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    30% is kinda the standard % .. hourly pay would be better. But that's another thread.

P.S. Topsoil aka (loam) is sticky especially if it's wet........

motocross25, Roger McG and ExOTR Thank this.
  9. motocross25

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Ok thank you. See that's what I was wondering too. Percentage is all fine and good until you're 40+ deep in line. Kinda like CPM. These companies that flex their nuts about 50 something cents per mile then you barely crack 1,000 miles a week. Well a lot of good that does. I guess there's lots of questions that need to be asked to the company. Thank you for your insight tho it has helped a lot. Years ago when I worked for the city during the summer as a teenage lad I know they hauled off a lot of topsoil and like you said it was real sticky. Kind of a nothing then all at once type deal. Do Class A end dumps have vibrators like some B dump trucks do?

10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    The class B trucks are more likely to be used to spread than a T/T...a lot safer, too. Chain the tailgate, raise the bed, unlatch the gate as you start rolling. The thing that would worry me with a T/T is that you're putting a LOT of weight 30'+ into the air, and until the stuff at the rear of the trailer gets out of the way and the material in the nose breaks free and slides down, you are EXTREMELY top heavy. Hit a pothole, soft spot, or run over a bump large enough to tip that trailer even a little as you're rolling and the whole thing can come crashing down. The beds on class B trucks are considerably shorter and they are MUCH more stable.

Personally, $20/hr for class B vs 29% for class A, I think I'd be in the 10 wheeler...guaranteed wage rather than getting stuck doing charity work the boss bid way too cheap just to keep his trucks busy.

Camelclutch and motocross25 Thank this.
  11. motocross25

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    That's what I was wondering too how much Class A trucks are used for spreading. Everything thing you said makes sense. And he was kinda leaning toward the 10 wheel side too. He said the same thing 20/hr you know what you're getting into. And free health insurance that helps a lot. I know a lot of their B trucks are multi axle and cheater boards and they look HEAVY. And it usually looks like sand. It sounds like interesting work. And I dare say plentiful in the area. Beelman is right across the river and Woody Bogler and Tri-County Trucking are within 50 miles. Not to mention some of the other outfits. Something is gotta be going on around here. Might not be a bad avenue to go down. Thanks again for taking the time to weigh in

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.