What triggers the engine fan on

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by big justin 1974, Feb 17, 2012.

1. big justin 1974

big justin 1974 Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2011
    cremona ab
    What triggers the engine fan to come on when it gets hot?? Is it just the water temp sensor or is it the computer? 05 Detroit 60 series

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. underpsi

underpsi Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    The ecm tells it when to come on

4. big justin 1974

big justin 1974 Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2011
    cremona ab
    Can u change the Temp setting in the ECM to come on at a cooler temp?

5. underpsi

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    Not easily, I've heard of guys that can do custom programming that can change the temperature setting.

6. truckmechanic

truckmechanic Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Hi Desert Ca
    Not sure about Detroit but cummins you can change the fan temp sensor pre egr came on around 200 post egr comes on around 205 not a big difrence but I guess 5 degree makes a big diffrence especially out her in the so cal desert in the summer at 110 made noticable diffrence on our egr motors

7. underpsi

Sep 18, 2008
    Toronto, Ont
    you could also put a temp switch in and then have to wire it to a new solenoid and tee the air line into the existing line so that at whatever temperature you buy the switch for the fan would come on and you still have the stock solenoid if you ever wanted to still use your fan override switch or if your temp switch ever messed up the ecm would still turn the fan on.

8. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Why would you wan the fan to come on more? That just robs you of fuel mileage. If you have a Star I imagine you have a fan switch on the dash, right? Pop that on if your climbing something crazy or if it makes you feel better. If your overheating, you need to figure out the reason, not put a bandaid on it.

9. thedrifter

thedrifter Medium Load Member

May 23, 2010
    portland or.
    the fan pulls enough power from the engine I flip mine on when I have a heavy load to go down hill. It will noticable help the jakes. the KW i had the fan was hooked in with the jakes so it came on 10seconds after I activated the jakes. I was told that a fan will pull 12hp from the motor. So i don't wwant it on more than it needs to be. If you are over heating on a pull then you need to drop a gear or more. I was taught to get to a gear that lets the engine run without load meaning if you can;t accelerate while pulling a hill you are in to high a gear.

10. Starline

Starline Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Middle Tn
    You have 3 sensors... Intake, AC and water. Each will cause the fan to come on.

11. timpte

timpte Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Where are they located and is there a testing process for them? My engine fan basically will run almost constantly with only a very brief shut off. Like 3 seconds

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.