What was the most beneficial piece of advice you received?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Working Class Patriot, May 10, 2009.

1. Sgt. Crusty

Sgt. Crusty Light Load Member

May 3, 2009
    Roan Mtn.,Tn
    I have received valuable tidbits of advise through the years. But, Two have always stuck with me, and from two very important people in my life. First was from the old boy who allowed me to drive his ole B-model. My first truck. Threw the keys at me and told me to go get a dozer down in the Quary with a lowboy.He said "any Jacka## schmuck can drive a truck down the road,What you gotta remember is to drive that freakin trailer that keeps followin ya". The other came from the boss(that's my wife for the rookies). She said "You work hard for my pay check,and if the wheels ain't turnin,I ain't earnin, don't come home till momma's got some cash to burn". That's been nearly 30 years ago.I thought she was kidden around. But, darn if I ain't still out here.With things the way they are,I may never get to go home.

PharmPhail Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    You got the wrong kinda cash cow buddy...

4. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    I knew that was your rig going past us into Omaha. And I'm curious, did you get a name? Oh how I hope it was my X that you beat. LOL BTW, I hollered at you on the CB, but you didn't answer.

5. 550hpW900L

550hpW900L Road Train Member

Jan 29, 2008
    norcal
    It was some jack ### wanting to fight for stupid reasons, he hit me first then i knocked him flat on his ###, was driving a white T660 with a step deck, didnt see the signs.

Pulled in after me in big springs after we had words on the radio.

BHW i rarely have my radio turned up unless i need to know whats up with the scales.

6. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    LOL yeah we were talking to a Crete L/O that was headed to TX when I saw you.

We like the Big Springs TS, good wash there and a PM is pretty reasonable as well. But we know the guys there, so we trust them. I grew up in that area. LOL Just across the CO line.

Hubby told me to tell you "Impressive Rig!" Of course he admired it when we got our calendar. :biggrin_25525:

7. 550hpW900L

550hpW900L Road Train Member

Jan 29, 2008
    norcal
    Thank you, wish we coulda meet up.

8. M.Enterprises

M.Enterprises Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Never start up under-capitalized. Good advice? Sure. Realistic? Hardly!

Its like like saying "never hold your breath for no reason." No sh%t, sherlock! You went to business school to learn that? lol

But if your underwater, you better hold your breath till you get above water. I don't care if you won the nobel friggin peace prize. No body likes to be water boarded in the marketplace. For billions on the planet, under-capitalized means wondering how your going to get your next meal. Like hell I'm going to sit down and die just because its risky to try. Hmm that sounds good.

I would say the best advice that is reasonable would have to be "Expect the unexpected."

9. Brickhauler

Brickhauler Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Elizabeth CO
    Don't be a checkers player, think like a chess player

10. torque

torque Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Ohio
    Don't push past your limits (driving tired). Let safety dictate your speed. Something I like to tell new drivers when I meet them is "Treat every car as if there are babies in the back seat." That's how I drive.I catch myself getting close to a car's bumper and I think "I can't see the back seat and there might be a baby in a car seat for all I know" and I'll back it down. Also,you can take a curve 1001 times too slow and make it every time,but it only takes running that same curve too fast 1 time to end your life.

11. velocityC6

velocityC6 Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Years ago when I was still hauling sleds (5-6 axle covered wagons) I asked a one of the owner/ops about fuel starting to tickle the $2 per gallon range. He told me "Ain't a #### thing I can do about the price of fuel, but I can control how much I use" It was my mantra when i bought my truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.