What will DQ me from TMC

Discussion in 'TMC' started by IL newbie driver, Sep 21, 2009.

1. carterbeauford

carterbeauford Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2009
    northwestern PA
    at times they can be strict on logs, at times you can drive 14 hours straight and no one will say anything about it. I went over my 11 a few times last month and got a qualcomm message saying "congrats you had no hours violations!"

I never understood the "run off your recap" thing, they tried to explain it to me a few times, my understanding is that you'll get to 70 hours eventually even if you're not running hard and end up having to take 34 in the middle of the week? or maybe not, I don't know. they have tried to use it as an excuse for me to get home on Saturday morning and leave out again on Sunday morning, eventually my FM realized that if I am at home, I am taking at least 34 hours off duty whether they like it or not. if you're running hard and managing your time right, you should have close to 70 hours on duty by the end of the week anyways.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. eckz

eckz <strong>"Radio Rambo"</strong>

Sep 15, 2007
    Detroit, Michigan
    Carter it's not worth doing. It's a pain in the ### and you will be stressing out over it all week I never bothered to do it either... I doubt i ever will.

4. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Recapping is not hard and i recommend that you keep it up on a daily basis. It is , especially important for you drivers who stay out for more than five or six days at a time. A hard running driver can, easily, reach 70 hours in less than eight days. I have done so in six days, on many occasions. it is important to know so you know whether to accept a load or not, when you will arrive and how many hours yo can drive each day.

5. eckz

Sep 15, 2007
    Detroit, Michigan
    I've ran over my 70. Since i diddn't recap the DOT officers never caught it.. I've yet to see one sit there and add up my hours. =)

He's talking about if you don't get your restart to run off your rolling hours that drop off after midnight or whatever.. It's a pain in the butt, if i ever hit my 70 i'd rather stop and get my restart rather than fight for hours all week.

That's just me, though.

6. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Yes, your "rolling hours," are what I'm call recap hours, those hours that come back to you after the eighth day. We all have our strategies, mine is to make the best use of my hours allowing me to make the most money possible. I have not found a way to make money while sitting in a truck stop, as I refuse to panhandle, polish aluminum or become a Lot Lizard. If i am going to sit and be nonproductive, I will try to do it at home. I try to be flexible, circumstances change each day, while the underlying goal, to make as much money as is possible, does not.I have my hours added up using all eight logs. I was good, because I do my recap. I, recently, had a DOT Officer look at my logs and ask about a particular day where I didn't work. I told hime I was out of hours, he took a quicl look at my recap and didn't question me further. The point is, I had done my recap.

7. eckz

Sep 15, 2007
    Detroit, Michigan
    Wait...

Your not a lot lizard? Lies!

8. cplmac2

cplmac2 Heavy Load Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Watford City, ND
    This, I stayed out for three weeks at a time as often as I could and that's usually going to require at least one reset. One thing you will notice is that when you stay out weekends it's not at all uncommon to get a crap run for a weekend that you can drive off in one day and then you get your reset anyway at a truckstop near the consignee or even at the consignee. I've taken resets many times while staying out for the weekend with a load. It sucks. You need to pay attention to your hours so you can let your FM know if there is going to be a problem with the load they dispatch you. More often than not they told me to take the load anyways which was ALWAYS a headache because the team leader would want to know what was going on. This is how I got reimbursed for a shower back in April...

9. IL newbie driver

IL newbie driver Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Burlington,WI
    Joe-
    I am leaving tomorow to go back out there and finish orentation. I do agree with u though it is a lot better co to start out with than some of the other ones out there. I just hope that I don't have 2 wait long for a trainer once I get done. I would like 2 get it over with and get my own truck and start running and make some $$$.

10. eckz

Sep 15, 2007
    Detroit, Michigan
    I'm glad to hear that they diddn't give you any more problems newbie, good luck out there on the road bud!

11. IL newbie driver

IL newbie driver Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Burlington,WI
    thanks man for all the help. Got one more question for u. Is there a trainer that u would recommend that lives in the Illinois or Wisconsin area that is good.

JohnnyPorkchop Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.