What would you do?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Kusanagi00, Aug 25, 2019.

1. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Ever had a wisdom tooth partially covered by a gum? Good luck with that...

FlaSwampRat, HoneyBadger67 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It seems the company is always the bad guy. Hmm lets think about this a minute.
    If you call in and want them to send you home because you have a toothache and can't drive, how are they going to send you home?? I mean think about it, is the op going to get a cab, bus, plane, none of that was mentioned, sounds like he can drive as long as it is towards home.Now then what you still have to get it fixed, it may be a little cheaper seeing a dentist at home, but it would not be a whole lot and you are miserable on the rive home, IF the company would let him go. Why if it is that bad, Then why not go to the dentist, and get some relief, then deliver the load or try to get them to send him home.
    Why would the company send him anywhere if he claims he can't drive, especially home?
    If a guy stays in this game long enough, there will be times he goes to a doctor and or dentist out on the road. I have seen a doctor a few times and a dentist a couple of times of, and spent as much as a week in a motel getting well before, none of those times did the thought to drive home cross my mind.

Cabinover101 Thanks this.
  4. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    An abscessed tooth can lead to heart problems. (ask me how I know)
    Anyway....back when I was younger and my tooth abscessed and became painful, I broke apart a bic razor and sliced my gum open to drain it. Is that the remedy for everybody? Nope. But I'm a get by until I can get better type of person.
    Get the tooth out before you cause yourself bigger problems. Fortunately for me, a mitral valve that doesn't quite shut all the way isn't a problem. (it looks kinda cool on a sonogram, though)

5. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I never cut it with a razor, though thata would probably be better, but I have just pushed it with my thumb and busted it and forced it out that way, it relives the pressure right now.
    I tried to pull one night at a truckstop with visegrips, next morning I found a dentist. lol

HoneyBadger67 Thanks this.
  6. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    Ok, fly... let's say that brushing, flossing, antiseptic rinses and all that are part of your daily regimen. You've got other obligations, though, so you're unable to afford the couple hundred bucks every 6mos for regular checkups. Cavities are sneaky and insidious, they dont arrive waving flags with a marching band. Unknown cavity becomes infected and now you have an abscess.
    Not everyone has a dental plan and, if you have kids, $1000/yr like most plans offer doesn't go much further than to make sure the little ones are kept healthy. So.... say a person puts his own health on the back burner to take care of his offspring and now they're a "failure at life"? SMDH

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  7. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Or you do everything right and have a purty smile, till somebody knocks them out. lol

8. Cabinover101

Cabinover101 Heavy Load Member

Jul 28, 2019
    What's the Name of this Company?

9. Cabinover101

Cabinover101 Heavy Load Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Oregano Oil can help temporarily until you can find a dentist quickly. So can baking soda, but like so many others have said it can be a very serious situation

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  10. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I had a tooth that was a little sore. Turns out it was a bad root canal that was infected and spread to my sinuses.

Have you talked to your safety person? They'll be more on your side for issues like these

UturnGirl and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You know what ... this is on you.

Stop acting like a slave, tell the company you can't work and get to an emergency dentist then take a day or two to get enough rest to get back on the road.

FlaSwampRat and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.