What would you do?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by nightrider57, Mar 30, 2013.

1. nightrider57

nightrider57 Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2012
    We went into training with our new company with excitement. The Orientation was long but turned out well. We got assigned to a trainer right away and were out on the road by the following Monday. At first our trainer seemed good. We learned a few things and were just trying to get used to sleeping while moving, and the ins and outs of the basics like fueling and truck stops. By the third day we realized that the trainer was more interested in sleeping than teaching. He would get us started, then dissapear into his bunk, only coming down when it was time to stop or exit. He directs me to speed, run stop signs, and not allow merging traffic in front of me. He scolded me for each of these things over the last week. He's also making lude comments to me or about me in front of my husband. We don't know what to do about him. Just yesterday he was driving for the first time, and he was texting his girlfriend, not wearing a seat belt, and speeding. Is this normal behavior for training? Should we be worried about all of this or should we just ignore him and do what we know is right? We know our career is in his hands, so we're trying not to piss him off or make him think we are noticing all these bad behaviors. What would you do in this case? We have to be with him for 6 weeks total.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    Report him to your Company.

pattyj, 48Packard, aiwiron and 5 others Thank this.
  4. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Bail. Call your DM, explain the situation, and get routed to the closest terminal and find yourselves a new trainer.

You've got yourself one of those "wonder trainers" of the type typically churned out by bottomfeeder outfits like Werner and Covenant. From your post, it sounds like you are a responsible driver and I'm presuming your husband is the same. So all you need is an equally responsible trainer who will show you the correct responses to whatever new situations you may encounter.

Yes, requesting a new trainer will set your training back while your company looks for another available team trainer. If the company refuses, walk away and join someone else. Teams are still a premium in this industry, especially teams with sparklingly clean MVRs and CSA scores. You will be able to find an outfit that meets your standards.....don't settle for anything less.

aiwiron, cetanediesel, rockee and 9 others Thank this.
  5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Take post#2 advice and report him immediately.You need to get off his trk like NOW!!!!!!!!! This guy is into bad habits.I can't believe hes even a trainer.Ask your company to get you and husband a room and come monday,your company will either bring you back to the company for a new trainer or send one to you.It's clear as day you won't last 6 weeks with this poor excuse for a trainer.

nightrider57 and LaBubba Thank this.
  6. nightrider57

Dec 4, 2012
    Thank you all. He also doesn't let us near the QualCom to see what he's up to, but we know something's not right. He's always making edits to it. It appears he's adding hours to our on duty and driving time. When we ask him, he says that's normal.

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    He's a lieing POS.He's cheating the hours of service and using you 2 just for the miles not training.

8. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Got a cell phone? One of you can step outside while doing a drop and hook or whenever the truck is stopped and call the company. Or use the Qualcomm when he's asleep. Stealth can be your friend here. Also, remember there are two of you, one of him. You've got him outnumbered if he decides to get stupid.

nightrider57, LaBubba, pattyj and 2 others Thank this.
  9. nightrider57

Dec 4, 2012
    He tells us stories of others who've reported him and laughs because they don't have jobs after he was done with them, and the company stood behind him. Will we be in trouble for him lying on our on duty and driving time? We definately want to report him. Just don't know when or how so they will listen to us. Especially since he says they didn't listen to anyone elses reports on him.

aiwiron Thanks this.
  10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Mind telling us what company this is so the new drivers knows not to go here?If you get caught for driving over hours because that trainer fudged the books,guess what,it's your ### not his.

nightrider57 Thanks this.
  11. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    If he's training teams, I seriously doubt he's putting people out of work for reporting him. As I said previously, teams are a premium in this industry, As in, and I want you to pay close attention here, WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN GOLD!! Or ammunition, if you're a shooter. Unless you do something like wreck the truck or get CSA points, this one idiot is not going to stop your career.

First step is to contact the company. If they refuse to do anything, gather up all your gear and AFTER you drop your last load take the truck to the closest terminal and leave. If you can't get to a terminal, quit over BOTH the qualcomm and the phone and go to the closest truckstop within reasonable distance from an urban area and leave there. Clearly explain your reasons. You WILL NOT be abandoning the truck, as there will be a company driver still assigned to it when you quit (the trainer).

From the sounds of it, I'm guessing you're stuck with a bottom feeder like CRST or CR England. Trust me when I tell you that no decent outfit is gonna give two farts about what those type of companies say about drivers who quit.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.