What would you do?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Natural, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    He needs to go to CA... Needs an emission truck.

daf105paccar, Natural and snowwy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. USA Trucker

USA Trucker Light Load Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Oh right. I missed that part. I don't go there anymore because of that.

Natural Thanks this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Man you gotta do a lot of research and form you're own opinion.

I might say Cummins is GREAT. Somebody else say no it's all evil. Somebody else say blah, blah, no that's all evil.

You'd be smart to take a year, do it as a company driver, then you can really see what's what.

Natural Thanks this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Although people buy them. I can't for the likes of me figure out why. They have more headaches then they're worth.

My last boss was paying $2600 a month for FL's. Trades them in every 3 years. Just like the other megas. His operation is mostly California. They come with 500,ooo mile warranty. And repairs are much faster with more location choices. They come with DD15 but you can probably get a cummins if that's what's desired.

I don't know if a single truck operation would get the same monthly payment though. Could be upwards of $4G. I have no idea on the negotiation of the payments.

Natural Thanks this.
  6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I am sure, there are just as many bad opinions about Volvos and Cummins as any other trucks. When I sat in KW or Pete I was very disappointed with their limited outside view; narrow windshield, petite mirrors and seat to dashboard space. As a matter of fact, they did strike me as M or S size, probably good for petite people. Freightliner Cascadia was comfy too. Also cheaper 146K with not bed specs. But a new truck is all right for those who know for sure what rates they can expect.

Natural Thanks this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I think the crappiest thing these days when shopping for a california truck. Is going to be trying to find a stick.

With auto's being the standard spec anymore.

Bakerman and Natural Thank this.
  8. Natural

Natural Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Rochester, NY.
    I did the calculations and I'd be making over $10,000 a week. (Not including IFTA deductions) assuming I don't get shut down somewhere because of low profile vehicle warnings or maintenance. Even with all the other expenses I'm still making out real good. We're talking about driving 4,000+ miles dropping off and then picking up a new shipment and drive back for another 2000+ miles at $2.00 per mile. I know leasing is a bad idea, but it's better than making $40k-$50k at a company. That would make sense that they look at your driving experience though. I wonder how many years they are looking for before they decide to lease? But, yeah unfortunately I do need to pass emissions for CA. I was told not to mess with CA, and NYC. Wyoming is basically unavoidable and I know how nasty the weather can get out there, especially with the winds 60+ mph and the ice hills. I appreciate the advice. Just not looking for a ton of mechanical work right off the bat. I can deal with that a several months later. I'd be screwed if I leased a vehicle and had it break down the week after lol. Would be just as bad if I bought a used truck outright and then had issues with it too. I'm getting the idea that Volvo is probably not the way to go though.

I'm sure buying a used truck would be the way to go. Would suck to have my DEF system die on me though. That's a good $20,000 to $40,000 alone which is more than what I would buy the truck for assuming it's used. I suppose I could cut CA out and not worry about DEF.

I was also told by another o/o to look for high per mile payout and do that locally for $5+ dollars per mile. You have to be Landstar certified I guess. Could make a decent profit that way assuming they don't hold me up for too long at the docks.

9. Natural

Natural Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Rochester, NY.
    I realize that it's subjective. Always good to hear other views though.

10. Majestic 670

Majestic 670 Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2016
    Landcruiser
    But in actuality Volvo is well known to the industry of being what it is. Some people love them and then some people don’t and it’s the same with all makes. I say for long distance travel Freightliner has the biggest network of 24HR facilities and parts availability. Then Paccar I never owned a freightliner but I used them when I was in a pinch. They had a great turnaround for the money. I’ve owned 3 Pete’s and one Volvo Vnl670 with a Cummins ISX it was a good Truck but of course it only had 300,000 miles on it.

Natural Thanks this.
  11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    What is your plan to make 10,000+ per week? Don't need the specifics, just the general plan. I.e. team operation? Specialized oversize? Short haul or coast to coast or midwest or ? I think your estimated revenue is a bit high...

exracer941 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.