What would you do?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Natural, Jan 2, 2018.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    4000 miles is pretty tough to do in 70 hours. The only thing going for you would be drop and hook. If that's the case. NO sitting around waiting to be loaded or unloaded.

There must be a dedicated customer also to get $2 out of SLC. Because it's not there with general freight. I worked for 3 companies. Them $2 loads are very rare unless there's an inside connection somewhere.

I think I'd be doing some practice runs for eld purposes and verifying the money before making any hard decisions.

Anybody can talk. But when it comes to reality. Reality don't lie.

Lasha.G, nightgunner and Natural Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Where do you get this idea you will be able to lift the phone and every load in every direction is paying $2 per mile?

Would you believe me if I said most of the year the long loads from east coast to west coast are moving for 1.00 on the low side and 1.50 on the high side? Or am I just dumb because I didn't tell that broker like it is and say you will pay me 2.00 end of story.

Lasha.G and p608 Thank this.
  4. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you haul any kind of food to the West, plan on wasting at least 2 days at Kroger waiting to be unloaded. They don't do anything fast over there.

Natural Thanks this.
  5. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Here is another thought. If you want to do 4000 miles per week on average. You are going to be doing resets while under load. How many customers are going to pay well for shipments where you must take longer to deliver it? None. You are going to lose time on loading and unloading as well as taking a reset when you've used up maybe only 30 of your 70 because you know the next 2800 mile load can't be done in 40 hours and that load may be paying higher than 2.00.

And how many customers are open when you need them to be? Sunday? Forget it. Another time delay.

Ruthless and snowwy Thank this.
  6. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Because you didn't include your expenses into that figure ...

7. Natural

Natural Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Rochester, NY.
    I'm sure you're not wrong. My buddy usually goes through the same guys and they pay $2.00 per mile. Lets say it was $1.75 or $1.50 I'm still making a decent amount. I can't complain about those numbers.

8. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    I can tell you with certainty this statement is false.
    I was the service manager for a International dealer and there are very strict parameters when dealing with warranty work. There are large bonuses for meeting these, and if you fail, the owner will get a warning from international and possible loss of franchise.
    The new A26 International just came out with. If it comes in for warranty, International is paying shop overtime rates to get it back on the road.

9. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Ok
    So now your average is what? You may get 1.75 and how far do you drive empty to the next one? Or is it free to drive empty? Your truck eats for every mile period. Bringing your average down further. Even if you figure your operating cost before you draw a salary at 1.00 you're now making maybe .60 per mile. Company driver range.

10. Natural

Natural Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Rochester, NY.
    I wouldn't drive empty. I would drop off a load and pick up another load before I head back home. That way I'm not empty until I get back home or close to it. No point in driving back empty when I can capitalize on other shipments.

11. Natural

Natural Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Rochester, NY.
    For example my buddy dropped off a shipment at SLC and picked up another shipment at SLC and had to deliver 3 hours away from where we live. He was only empty for 3 hours.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.