What would you do?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Natural, Jan 2, 2018.

1. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Your going to learn. It won't take long at all to figure out it isn't easy as it looks on paper. Best of luck to you.

Natural Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Natural

Natural Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Rochester, NY.
    Never thought that was the smarter way of working. The smarter way would be to find short hauls with higher paying miles. Less wear and tear on the truck and you're spending less on gas, etc.

4. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

LOL

Better question is who would want to put themselves through all that? Thats insanity.

Hurst

5. DieselDrivinDaddy

DieselDrivinDaddy Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Poconos, PA
    If OP uses one more reference to these trucks using GAS, I’m going to lose my mind.

That along with anyone willfully running 4000 miles per week is enough to make me cringe.

I value my family time and sanity too much to work myself to death.

Pup97, exracer941, PoleCrusher and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Natural

Natural Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2018
    Rochester, NY.
    Diesel / Gas whatever you knew what I meant. I'm fine with doing those miles if I'm making a lot. Sometimes you gotta make sacrifices even if they are temporary.

7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Been there,.. done that. F-that.

Work smarter,.. not harder. I can always find work. Family and friends are too important to me.

I do maybe 90k - 110k mi tops. 40 - 42 weeks a year at most. Thats as hard as I want to work any more.

Hurst

8. DieselDrivinDaddy

DieselDrivinDaddy Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Poconos, PA
    The problem is not doing those crazy miles once in a while or making sacrifices. Most truck drivers have done both.

The reality is that if your business model is dependent upon running that hard week in and week out, one or both of the following are imminent:

1: Your truck will fail, warranty or not, you go broke waiting on repairs.

2: Your mind and body will fail, the stress of pushing the limits causes accidents as well as health problems.

Good luck on your adventure and let us know how it works out. I hope you prove us all wrong.

Natural Thanks this.
  9. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    That 1st year is a tough one to get through . Many expenses the first year and many unaccounted expenses that came up . One semi major repair and a couple smaller ones ate into my repair fund quickly and preventive patience with typical stuff came along as well . I ran 4000 miles for a while in the summer doing Laredo to Seattle loads and back , good money but very hard running and had no choice but to do a 34 many of times . You have stars and $ signs in your eyes and I respect that but maybe pullback those miles a bit and see how it goes as a O/O . Good Luck

Natural Thanks this.
  10. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

I was lucky and now that I look back on it,.. made some smarter choices when I first started out.

Started out with an older used truck. Pre-emissions. Paid $20k cash for it. Leased on with the carrier that I was already a company driver. So I already knew what to expect. Leased my first trailer for $500 month. Later took out a bank loan to buy the same trailer and still own it today. I had put away more than enough start up capital over the 3 yrs before I pulled the trigger to become O/O. I researched and planned everything out to the 'T'. I disciplined myself and stuck to my goals and road plan. Yeah,. I had a few hick ups over the years. But because I was smart enough to understand the value of cash and maintained business relationships with my carrier when everyone told me to cut him loose and run my own numbers. I survived.

I know not everyone is that lucky. But even so,.. I would never pull 4000 miles a week and I never let the people I care about down. I'll quit trucking before I hurt the people I love.

Hurst

Natural Thanks this.
  11. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    When you first get out you have something to prove and of course like this guy I was seeing the $$$. My last 3 runs were 2500 miles and than back home . I have money on the books and more floating around in cyber land waiting to hit the account . My first month running to the end of this year running is drastically different . I don't recommend 4000 on the regular but I understand his motivation .

Natural Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.