What's a business plan?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I never had anything on paper either...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    can’t down on an iPhone.....?

Maybe it’s me.....

bzinger and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    It's usually at this time of the year that I get hit with bills to pay. It's my anniversary date. I put down 33% for my insurance, my second year, still pretty high. My truck was in shop. My trailer had work done. I got new tires. And I paid for the IRP renewal. So, I'm not so optimistic at the moment since I have spent a lot more than I have planned. The fuel is going up. I used to backhaul loads. But now, there aren't any for my lane. So, I'm eating more costs for fuel, making it way harder. I can't change to a different lane since I have an agreement in place. And I won't leave since that agreement kept me afloat when everything shutdown.
    After I survive this period for a few months, I should be seeing money floating a bit, unless there is a major breakdown.
    So, yes. It's pretty much LUCK and keeping reserves for issues that come up. I'm still paying off the loans. I have a few loans in place after I started last year.
    Next year, I should be in a much better place if I survive that is. I survived last year. I'm still swimming. LOL
    I didn't have a plan. I jumped in foreseeing only a few weeks ahead.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    "A business plan is a formal written document containing the goals of a business, the methods for attaining those goals, and the time-frame for the achievement of the goals. Wikipedia"

Looks to me that a business plan as a roadmap to success is hard to define.
    Instead, there are common sense things;
    1. Be conservative with money 2. Work hard when they pay historically good. 3. Don't work too much when they pay less than fair. 4. While all of the above is true, one should look for new opportunities and have a courage to seize them when they occur. 5. Expand, build the fleet and hire people, become JB Hunt, if you wish so.

My plan was to
    1. Buy a truck - lease on - checked
    2. Buy a trailer - after 2 years - checked
    3. Get authority, become independent - hope for more money by having a direct access to the freight market - checked but the outcome is different from what was expected.

4. While financially comfortable, trade the van for a reefer / acquire a new reliable truck and shift to more specific freight, perhaps acquire direct customers. - in process

5. Maintain the point 4 for another 15 years and then retire. - to be done yet.

Any plan like that is lacking concrete mile stones and how to accomplish them. It is hard to define it because of the market unpredictability. Things can change with a blink of an eye.

Other than that the business plan is a statement needed for a loan application.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  6. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Admittedly I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer,
    but this looks extremely professional to me..

Nicely done hand.! :thumbup:

7. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    Yes. But I don't think it's enough just to give a few points to get a loan. This business is risky. And banks aren't that willing. So there are hurdles to jump.
    How many years have you been in business?
    It seems I take a lot more risks than you do. I might drown or I might swim. Time will tell.

bzinger and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Who to lease on to. Cost of truck. Talked to other people asked what they made. Hunt for truck, buy truck , plate truck

TallJoe, bzinger and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. Coal Region Deplorable

Coal Region Deplorable Light Load Member

A business plan is a bunch of ######### made up buy some fresh college grad with a low-to-mid level management job at a bank or lending institution. These little pissant drones I think it gives them a one up on on you in the conversation in an attempt to gain some sort of a dominant / submissive advantage for purposes of whatever.

It's kind of like something they want you to do that sort of kind of make sure you get down on your knees and beg.

I don't personally know one single successful businessman who wrote up a business plan.

Frankly at this point in my life,if one of those little snots ask me for a business plan, I just tear into them until I made them cry

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I agree, not sure how much money some are after. But I’ve never been asked for a Business Plan. I’m sure if someone goes to the SBA to start a Business, they would require one.

TallJoe and bzinger Thank this.
  11. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    My business plan when I bought a truck in 17 was .
    1. Watch my money and don't waste it on train horns and drop visors .
    2. Moniter my fuel Mileage closely .
    3. Maintain the hell out of the truck and proactively replace components before they fail .
    4. Have money lined up for an overhaul which came a year later .
    5. Work hard but smart .
    6. Throw every dollar I could afford into savings cause I would be needing it .
    And 7 ! ...avoid women for a few years along with anything else that costs large sums of money.

It worked cause I got 4 payments left on a truck thats solid as a rock and looks good , a nice silverado and impala ltz , a pretty girlfriend and buying a house soon .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.