What's an average return for doing pneumatic dry bulk?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by UKJ, Jan 10, 2015.

1. UKJ

UKJ Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    The more and more I see about companies ripping off drivers left and right, I feel like just saying screw it and getting my own truck and trailer after a year or so and have the experience. My main interest(company or O/O) is pneumatic dry bulk and I am just trying to get numbers together to see what the ROI would be on getting setup with this type of rig and what a typical payout would be for the load. I tried to see what was going on with bulkload.com but they don't show anything unless you pay and I'm not ready to pay for that service just yet.

Also is there a market for this type of trucking in the MI, OH, IN, KY, TN, WV area? I refuse to deal with IL and their toll booths every 5ft(what a racket that is!) so I’d like to keep it limited to this region if possible. I have priced out trucks & trailers and just need to make sure there would be enough business to make it worthwhile.

Also what is the reliability of these trucks, It seems from looking at the forums that they breakdown a lot, I understand they run more often and travel more and carry a lot of weight compared to a regular car/truck, but is the frequent breakdowns from just those factors alone or more from people dogging them out?

truckinglife1198 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Give you the rates I know of. Mojave to Bell CA is a 92 mile one way, but no load coming back. Load pays the truck $21.42 per ton, My sons truck loads 28 tons, $ 599.76. Comes out to about $ 3.26 cents per mile. On long hauls this may drop some, but you have to pay for the trip back also.

Due to traffic, waiting time for others to unload most days he can only get 1 load, If he does get two loads delivered he runs out of hours and sleeps in the truck. But on the good side 2 loads pay the truck good bucks.

Dry bulk yes pay well, the equipment is expensive but pays back quickly.

Most loads are bid on empty miles being up around 50 percent so that has to be taken into consideration.

UKJ Thanks this.
  4. UKJ

UKJ Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    Thanks so much, I am trying to put an excel spreadsheet together and this will help a lot. Just to clarify you are bidding to include empty miles to ensure you make enough to come back without a load and still be profitable correct?

5. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    yes in the powder world 50% empty is very common, so if you have a customer that can supply loads both directions then you may want to take that into consideration.

For instant there is a customer I used to deliver to in Page Az, well they arranged a load back from Page AZ to Oxnard. I discounted both loads 20% but still made real good money for the duration of the job.

Getting to know your customers and there needs can benefit you both.

Bad news is the cost, after purchasing a tractor you have to add a Garner Denver PTO Compresssor to the tractor, also the cost of pneumatic trailers are not cheep, a used set could run you 25,000 and up, new well look in truckpapers. You could have 200K plus into the rig to start. Used would be considerably less.

6. UKJ

UKJ Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    Okay, That's what I came up with too(200k) to get started with all new equipment.(not including PTO) I will see about used as well to lower costs.

7. blade

blade Heavy Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Some where, Mo
    Update did you take the leap

8. Futureownerop

Futureownerop Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Can someone tell me how many loads you can make dry bulk cement in a day from the hi desert and how much it pays per load

9. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    To where, To Los Angeles Area 2 or 3 depending on standby time. Pay depends on the company. SOme are percentage some are hourly. The hourly rate varies from about 10 to 25 bucks.

Futureownerop Thanks this.
  10. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Well most of the time the cement company will tell you what a load pays, for example Mojave to LAX pays the truck about 425 bucks per load. If your a driver you would expect to see about 26% of that.

Futureownerop Thanks this.
  11. Futureownerop

Futureownerop Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2019
    Thank you.....i was speaking from a owner operator view...trying to get into a business where i start from the hi desert which i call home...wondering if its worth it taking that next leap

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.