What's asphalt hauling like?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by speedyk, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    At my last company I drove a semi, truck and trailer, and a set of doubles hauling hot oil. I also operated a transfer truck and trailer dump doing roadwork at times. Ask away...

speedyk Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    It’s super easy.

just don’t fall out of the paver and even if you do it’s 2019. Everyone has a skid steer.

around here if you fall out you buy a case of beer for the crew.

I had the paver accidentally back up on me and lost 10 tons of mix or so. lol that was their fault.

I work for a paving company. I love it, I do it all from drive to labor. Today it was self serve day so I was big iron.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  4. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    The job posting is for a petroleum company, assuming it's tanker. Few details about the job, just the usual corporate non-info about how great they are.

5. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    Oh yeah that’s tanker most likely. Probably a gravy job.

speedyk Thanks this.
  6. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Hauling asphalt oil is easy work. I had a daily 565 mile run. Go to the refinery, load, drive all night, unload by gravity or pump off, take it back to the barn. Pretty simple and straightforward.

speedyk Thanks this.
  7. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Well, I'm still waiting for some corporate drone to do something and meanwhile have some other things working, but if they offer it I know I want it, thank you all very much. :^)

REO6205 Thanks this.
  8. Fold_Moiler

Mar 17, 2017
    You guys still hauling mix?

I think I’m gonna be done on the 14th, maybe stretch it to thanksgiving but I doubt it.

9. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Hot, messy and miserable.

It's completely seasonal, workload is completely centered around the weather (if it's raining, you're sitting) and once you're loaded (after a several hour wait at the loading plant) it's "we need it there yesterday".

You do a lot of sitting in the truck and standing around. Sitting in line to get loaded, standing on the rack getting loaded, drive an hour or two to the paving site, then stand around for 1-2 hours waiting for the pump to suck the trailer dry.

Pump off's for emulsion loads are the worst. You *will* get covered in it (hopefully you are wearing coveralls, boots and a face shield) and there's no easy way to get it off of anything, including skin, without a harsh solvent or gritty soap.

I did it over the summer for two months and hated it. Made me realize liquid tankers aren't my thing. Should always be an hourly position for pay, because delays always happen.

speedyk Thanks this.
  10. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Just exactly the opposite here except for the seasonal part, at least where I hauled from, which happens to be the only place here. lol

All short runs, up to 100 miles was by the hour, pulling single or double. I did have to load at the rack most of the time hauling hot oil, though sometimes they would pre load for me.
    Hauling emulsions we did not load at the refinery, and I just sat in the truck while they loaded me at the plant. Anywhere I unloaded, I only got out of the truck, if I wanted to, the reciever did all the hoking up and pumping off, sometimes when pulling a trailer they were not used to, I would have to show them how the valves were set up though. On some of the places I would climb up and crack the dome open too. I rarely got any onme other than my gloves, when I did a little WD40 takes it off easy enough.
    I loved hauling the emulsions, I could get nearly anywhere in he state in 6 hours, and would leave out in the evening and sleep where I needed to unload, crack the dome before I went to bed, or leave a note on the valve telling them too, and they if I slept through them unloading, they would wake me up, and down the road with a fresh 10 I would go. I called it old mans trucking, about as easy a trucking gig as I ever had.

11. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    If that's what it was at Paul's I probably would have stayed, lol. I might still be bored but more driving and almost no work and mess? Yeah, that wouldn't be half bad.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.