what's going on with fedex freight?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by crazystalin, Feb 12, 2013.

1. fastSVT

fastSVT Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    FXG blows my doors off every single night. R&L sleeper units scoot on down the road at a pretty quick pace too!

Fuelinmyveins Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    LOL! I don't know about the rest of the ltl guys but I have been working so hard lately that the only time off I get is a reset! Yes I get to go home but it doesn't feel like very long. Or I am sleeping in a hotel. Yes it is better than sleeping in a truck stop but I have less time to do things than when I ran dedicated OTR. The only difference for me is I don't sleep in a truck stop and I make a bunch more money. I work really hard for that money though! I am bored stiff of running up and down the I-5. Don't know how much longer I can last on that useless highway. Also I still have to hit truck stops and rest areas to use the bathroom. I miss the open road!

CenutryClass and wsyrob Thank this.
  4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    You know, I actually do understand that. I was really getting that way myself, along toward the end of my driving time. Particularly when I would be interacting with a local OTR company that I used to drive for. When I look back on it, probably should have listened to my gut, and gone back with them. Might still be driving, instead of being a stove up old "usetawas" of a driver.

cool35 Thanks this.
  5. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    Another thing I have a problem with in ltl, at Reddaway anyway, is the equipment. I had a way better truck when I was OTR. They were usually never older than 3 years and I always had the same truck. When you have the same truck you get to know it. At Reddaway I get a different truck every trip and I swear everyone of them has some kind of air leak or something else wrong with them. I'm constantly writing them up. I'll get a truck that has been written up for an air leak, was supposed to be fixed and still has the same problem! It gets really frustrating after a while.

6. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    That does suck. Many companies allow you to keep your same truck every day. At least it's that way at my company. It's pretty nice to just be able to leave all your junk in it.

7. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    One good thing about peddling was once I got my own truck, I was the only one to use it, and used it everyday. Kept things in it etc. Then when I got layed off the first time they let everyone use it, granted I took all my stuff, but those idiots pretty much destroyed the truck and left it a mess.

On Linehaul we are always swapping trucks. When I go to a bulk break center we will get a different truck. Like today I had a HUGE POS going there, no power on hills, mybe did 55 if that when the ground was level. Coming home I had a decent truck, only problem was steering was too perfect. I mean just a slight turn of the steering wheel turned the truck, had to hold it STRAIGHT. But it pulled very very very well.

Ive noticed that when we do a satellite terminal, the truck they give us is always in good shape... seems like the junk they send out and the good they keep. Heck weve had the same brand new twin screw for months now. Our one two seater twin screw is ours to keep as they use it for training new drivers and p/d that requires two guys

8. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    So theres a highway worse than I84????

jakebrake12 Thanks this.
  9. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Not possible.. The Pa side is a guaranteed stuck on the hill in the winter. I forget the name of the first town in the flat mile between the NY line and the first pull in Pa but it wasn't uncommon to see like 30 sets from all the companies with Newburgh hubs pulled over waiting for some Penndot plows. And they never showed..lol..

You know the hill I'm talking about ach...

10. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I don't feel bad about my truck when an old ups freight overnite truck passes me. They got alot of money and still runnin equipment like ours. OTR always has nicer stuff cause they live in their trucks. I look at it like this, I don't live in it so ill run it til it blows up. Old D does have the best equipment though get jealous when I see them. Lol. We are getting the new trucks so looks like we got some money.

11. ACH1130

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    Matamoras... And yes that REALLY steep hill just out of Port Jervis... fasted I went up that hill was 45mph with about 20k. Today I had a decent pulling truck, it did about 30-35 up the hill, the engine was screaming though, the van was 45k. Thankfully in the winter, we dont have to take that way, we ask for the snow route. So for harrisburg instead of 84-81 we take 84-87-287-78-81... Wish they would let us take that way all year. Its longer but faster if you know what I mean. I had to bob-tail today 209 miles to the Harrisburg Rail yard... In a twin screw they arent too bad bob-tailing but still a rough ride.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.