What's happening?

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by grayman, Jan 5, 2011.

1. snakeskin

snakeskin Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Vacaville, Ca
    For the most part you are correct, however i was in wyoming in Nov. and it got to -8 that night, i sent a message and called, which i was told to idle all night and put anti gel in fuel..... was reimbursed for anti gel but charged for idle....... just saying it isn't an automatic to qc the dm to get things covered, most of the time yes,,,, but sometimes ????????????
    I have moved on to a local job out of Budweiser in Fairfield CA, but still have no problem recommending May, just go into it eyes open.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Irishtrucker

Irishtrucker Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    What happens if you have local experience but no OTR, do they still send you with a trainer?

4. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    It depends on how long its been since you were o.t.r. They might require you to do a CDL refresher course. Most companies do if you have been away from o.t.r. for too long. It doesn't make sense to me why, only thing I can think of is to teach you any new regulations. Best thing to do is call em up.

Contact Info

Irishtrucker and ProPilot Thank this.
  5. Trucker Steve

Trucker Steve Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Phoenix az
    I would imagine YES, However this is on a case by case bases. The reason for going with a teacher is not to learn how to drive the truck but to learn the MAY WAY!

Irishtrucker Thanks this.
  6. Irishtrucker

Irishtrucker Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    So your really with the trainer to learn the paperwork, qualcom and other relevant tasks associated with OTR?

7. pjw044

pjw044 Heavy Load Member

Basically yes, and to make sure that you are able to handle the way
    of life that is solo OTR. You will learn how May does things, or would like them done. It not an EASY thing being OTR and it has some very
    stressful time, but i you hit it off with your trainer, you can also
    use his/her experience as a tool for yourself by calling and asking
    questions. Also most drivers will try to answer any questions or lend a hand if needed. The q-comm is a different story. Be sure to get your laminated macro sheet for the Q-comm (very handy). Plus there is always this forum to lend a hand....

8. Trucker Steve

Trucker Steve Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Phoenix az
    Yes Basically! As a teacher in the trucking industry myself for over a decade I can tell you that EVERYONE can drive, some need more work then others but... A trainers sole purpose is to build confidence and help them build a foundation for which they can continue to learn on. You will not learn EVERYTHING nor will ANY ONE who is out here on the road. Experience shouldn't be based on years but rather the events you have learned from!

It amazes me when people say that a driver with little time on the road shouldn't teach another driver.. As if someone with 20 years could TEACH a guy everything he knows, AHHH, OKAY! LOL At the same time they say "if you don't learn something new everyday you should hang up the keys " Slightly contradictory I would say!

The sad part is finding a GOOD TEACHER is hard. You might find a guy/gal with unbelievable skills but is a horrible teacher and vice verse..

I'm done with my rant... You can continue to your regularly scheduled program!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.