What's it like pull intermodal?

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by Ddr1992 579, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Ddr1992 579

Ddr1992 579 Medium Load Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Do they use reefers and dry container trailers? Are most of the trucks mid-roof or condo? Does Schneider, and swift run both types of containers? What's the process of delivery and pick up?

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I did intermodal out of Chicago in it's infancy( the 80's) but not much has changed. Intermodal does use reefers, but I'd say 95% of the business, is "non-time sensitive" dry van goods. Most the intermodal trucks you see are old mega-carriers trucks, and generally not needed. Most intermodal places have hubs in major cities, so deliveries are generally regional, and with shippers tending to "load the wagon", a lighter tractor is the way to go. The old condo trucks are usually drivers living in them. I was leased to a "power only" outfit in Green Bay, did okay, but if I did it today, I'd get my own spread axle aluminum chassis, as a "house chassis", is usually pretty shot. Many still use tube tires and no sliders. As a company driver, it won't pay much, and there are probably better gigs for a driver. I think an O/O could make it today, if they don't go out and buy one of those $200grand Peterbilts. Don't laugh, I've seen it, just not for too long. Good luck. Give a location, Chinatown can help.

Badmon Thanks this.
  4. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    top speed in 3 miles

Badmon and MIT Thank this.
  5. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    top speed in 3 miles

Badmon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted