What's it like these days?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Cocky, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Cocky

Cocky Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2005
    It's been a long time since I've driven. I was OTR with Roehl back in 2005 before getting a local gig with Coca-Cola. That turned out to be a nightmare, so I moved on to a different industry altogether. I've kept my CDL though, because I still miss the OTR days I guess.

So what's new out there these days? I remember idle time was a big thing the companies hounded drivers about. I'm sure the parking situation never got any better. Are all companies now on electronic logs? Did the pay ever get better? When I drove, I was bringing in around .33 per mile and averaging from 2500-3000 miles a week.

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Well, companies now are starting out with more CPM, decent size sign on bonuses like anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000 plus. A lot of companies have newer trucks and trailers on the road now, and the occasional junky trailer. Yep, parking is still an issue.

Lastly, you still have some loading and unloading issues at shippers and receivers

4. Cocky

Cocky Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Yeah that was always an issue when I drove. I remember there was a Walmart DC in Florida that was horrible.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location?
    Are you wanting to hit the road again? There's some decent companies that will hire you. Elogs are ok once you get used to them. Reefer outfits don't want drivers touching freight, especially truckload freight. They want you to log sleeper berth instead of touching freight.

6. Cocky

Cocky Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Well I'm currently in Kuwait working a government contract, but South Carolina is home. Yeah I've been thinking pretty hard about getting back on the road. I haven't decided on that yet, and I'm sure my extended break from the road would be an issue with some companies.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Abilene Motor Express will probably hire you since you still have your cdl. They hired a driver last year that hadn't driven in 20 years. It's a good outfit based in Richmond,VA.
    [​IMG]
    Trucks run 72 mph.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  8. Cocky

Cocky Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to think about it a good bit.

Steel Dragon and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Auto shift transmissions are replacing the old manual ones. The computers and new auto shift transmission are good now that the engine and transmission can talk to each other.

Just about everyone is running legal with ELDs now

10. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    And companies now are using cameras in trucks too. Some forward and rear facing, most are forward facing

11. Cocky

Cocky Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2005
    I think the only folks that were running auto transmissions when I drove was US Express. Do they have issues climbing hills in the appropriate gear?

Cameras, huh? I'm assuming those are for accident/insurance claims?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.