What's the best 3 car hauler?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by daadsr, Jan 16, 2013.

1. daadsr

daadsr Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Im A wannabe car hauler , whats the best 3 car hauler to buy ? take 3 or Kaufman or others?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    My brother bought a Kaufman 4 months ago . The 4 and go I think is what call it ? It is junk . We have had to replace all the equallisers pins. One spring. The brake packages is half of what it should be! Factory relined the brakes under warranty ( in first 30 days) . Picked up new axles with proper bake package and will replace all 3 axles next week ! Had same brake package as a travel trailer? Got 40,000 miles on trailer and only 2 of the six tires still on it . Cheaply made.
    It's pricy but check out sun country their 5 car. Sweet set up. Get you a good single axle truck nd get at it ! Good luck! My brothers trailer is to new to trader (way up side down) , we will fix their lack of quality ! But it's getting more expensive every day. But we will get there !

4. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    A Take 3 is much better built.

5. Dorsey

Dorsey Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Florida
    I had a Kaufman wedge. I don't have any complaints.

Never had a take 3 but I've never heard anything bad about them.

If I were looking at buying a wedge I would lean towards the take 3.

6. slowpoke25

slowpoke25 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2013
    I prefer a Kaufman. They make a 2 axel trailer, with 8 tires (duals). Many others are 3 axel with 6 tires (singels). Very prone to flats.
    Also go for a real 5'th wheel setup and not a gooseneck.
    I must also advise it is very diffacult to make a real profit with a 3 car. I'd look into at least a 6. The investment is not much more.
    There is a Facebook group called
    "Stacker Boyz" full of car haulers. I bet you can get a lot of questions anwsered there.

7. Kenny's transport

Kenny's transport Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2013
  8. daadsr

daadsr Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Thanks a lot! I heard it was junk, but I wasn't sure. I see there is a new 1 on ebay for $8000, it seemed too good to be true...

My friend has a Take 3, he speaks highly of it too.

Thank you for the info, I appreciate your honest opinion!

Thank you! I will look into it. Trying to build up to eventually get a 6 car hauler.

Thanks for responding! Me too from what I've been reading.

9. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Ok they must build the lighter duty better than it bigger brother?

10. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Take3 is a way better built trailer then Kaufman , I've owned both.

11. KyleTexas

KyleTexas Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2013
    The best 3 car hauler is a 4 car hauler .. Capacity,capacity, capacity in car hauling. Just like location, location, location in real estate.

+ 1 on difficult to turn a profit with a 3 or 4 car hauler.. You're competing against guys with 9/10 car units.. who can nut cut you.
    9 cars at .30 cents/mile is $2.70/mi. .30 cents x 3 is .90 cents a mile .. if the dually gets 10mpg.. 40 cents per mile for fuel. Dually payment $400/mo Trailer /$300/mo Insurance $300/mo.. that equals $1000 or 10cents per mile on 10k average... now your overhead is 50 cents per mile. You eat 3 x per day at $7 average.. 21 per day or $600/mo... now you're at 56 cents per mile and you haven't spent a dime on repairs, maintenence, hotel, incidentals .. to be safe let's ad 10 cents per mile. .. you're at 66 cents per mile.. and you're running for 90 cents per mile.. netting .24 cents per mile. Congratulations on mortifying your 3rd grade math teacher with your failure to add up the cost.
    You just drove 10k miles/ 70 hrs week and netted $2400 for the month if your gross was 90cents per mile. $2400 divided by 280hours(70hrs per week x 4) ... you've just worked for $8.57 per hour... and you did NOT get any overtime pay.. or pay your rent/mortgage yet. Or your health insurance.. or your personal car payment or insurance. Or for unexpected damages on the cars you hauled. You would have made more working 70hrs/wk at McDonalds.. they pay overtime.

A wedge is for local work shuttling auction cars .. or hauling oversize cars/trucks like Sprinter vans or Duallies that pay more. Other than for those uses Wedges are the worst ! Competing OTR with a dually/wedge is a quick way to use yourself up and go broke.

Sorry if Im a little cranky here but it seems like every week there's a new guy with a Dually/Wedge plan .. tired of seeing them about to financially splatter themselves like bugs against the windshield.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.