whats the best IFTA app for iPhone

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by ezralong, Jan 2, 2016.

1. ezralong

ezralong Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Vermont
    hi all, I'm wondering if there is an app thats best for tracking your state miles. Ive been doing it on a notepad for years then come home to put it in a spread sheet on my laptop. but i want to try something new and more streamlined. thanks

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    You mean like a GPS mileage generated type of software?

Rideandrepair and jacquesi23 Thank this.
  4. ezralong

ezralong Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Vermont
    Yes. I've heard of apps for the iPhone that do that, but I don't know which one to get. I'd imagine there might be a perfered one for the owner operators. Any suggestions?

5. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    I don't like the GPS dependent ones because there's quite a bit of inconsistency. The old fashioned way works best ;-)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  6. jacquesi23

jacquesi23 Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2013
    I find it easier to just get a voice recorder an record your mileage each time you hit a different state.
    Then once I'm near my laptop I just play the voice recorder back an plug the mileage in.
    Sure beats the heck outta scrambling for that notepad in rush hour traffic trying to scribble some numbers down

7. ezralong

ezralong Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Vermont
    Yeah, that's one way to do it. I was kinda hoping for something that did it automatically and I could just print something out and the end of the quarter. But I guess I'll just keep putting in the laptop at the end of each trip. What program do you use jacquesi23 on your laptop? I used excel on my pc and now I have a Mac so it's called numbers.

Rideandrepair and jacquesi23 Thank this.
  8. jacquesi23

Jan 21, 2013
    I don't even have a spreadsheet. I take the odometer reading an just do a little math an plug it in each quarter online when I pay my fuel taxes.

9. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    I just got my own authority. Went live January 1st. However, I've been on a 2 week vacation and don't go back out until tomorrow.

I'm going to be using an app called Big Road for logging. You have the option of using the GPS and running it as an AOBR or shutting off the GPS and running it manually. It will run your mileage & fuel reports for you, so as long as you make your entries on the log accordingly it does the job.

However, since the ELD mandate doesn't go into effect until 12/2017, I will continue to opt out of any type of onboard recording device.

I also downloaded a pretty nice owner operator trucking specific program called Truckn Pro 7. It's $149 for a lifetime license and updates and is pretty slick. The program will not work on an Android device though. I think once the developer makes it available on Android, his sales will increase.

I have a laptop so it's no big deal, but I have sure become used to and dependent on doing everything on my smartphone ;-)

jacquesi23 Thanks this.
  10. jacquesi23

Jan 21, 2013
    I'm just the opposite of you...I shut down my authority on the 1st of January lol

11. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    That's funny...I think ;-)

I've been running under another companies authority since 2014. I am still hauling for them, however, it was time for me to set myself up with my own authority that way I can test the waters.

jacquesi23 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.