What's the Difference berween Low & High Drive Linear Amplifiers Kickers?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Holy Moses, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Highbluffgator

Highbluffgator Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2020
    Can I run a 1200 watt amp with my galaxy 959 putting out 30watts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Highbluffgator

Highbluffgator Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2020
    Can I run a 1200 watts amp with my galaxy 959 pushing 30 watts ? New to this

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

Before you buy an amp, you need to read the specs on it. The manufacture will tell you the recommended power inputs for their amps.

Another Canadian driver and 202 Thank this.
  6. Billyniilly

Billyniilly Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2021
    So if i am understanding correctly, high or low amplifiers can be used on any radio as long as the dead key watts are matched up so it dosent get blown /burnt up??

7. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey

Sorta... high amps require enough watts to drive them. For example a Galaxy 959 pushing 30 watts does Not carry enough juice to drive a straight 400 amp, you need a minimum of 40 watts to hit that amp. Rule of thumb is 10 watts per pill. So a 8 pill amp requires a minimum of 80 watts to drive it. This is in a straight amp scenario, the other way to go is using a driver for the amp. This is why you see amps advertised as a 1x4 or 1x8. These are amps with built in drivers, not solely using the radio as the driver. The radio produces 10 watts, hits the 1 pill driver which then produces 100 watts hitting your 8 other pills in the amp. Output being 800 watts. This is a simplified version, but you can see the basic concept here. Blowing up amps, becomes a issue when you take your galaxy 959 throwing 30 watts into the 1x8 amp. The 30 watts has too many carrier watts going into the 1 pill driver. So the radio can’t drive the amp by itself but has too much power to be put into a 1 pill driver. This is why it’s important to pick the correct amp for your setup, as well as, picking the correct radio for your power output goals.

8. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    New to cb world or just the amp side..

If new to it all forget about amps for now...worry about the basics of a good antenna set up and a clean tx/rx radio 1st....enough to keep you busy there for a few yrs

9. Buillynilly

Buillynilly Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2022
    Has anyone heard if the rm kl 400 is high or low drive? It says 10 watts max input?

• Truckers Report Jobs