What's This Trailer Worth?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by DSK333, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Opendeck

Opendeck Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    I'm not sure if you're specifically referencing trailers only, but super singles suck in winter

Tb0n3, Oxbow, DSK333 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Will disagree with you. Have not had any problems with them. Traction in rain and snow has never been an issue.

I understand some people don’t like them. Ok fine.
    Me I have no problem with them.

4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    My only issue with them is i am constantly pulling crap out of my tires and fixing flats. I do the kick check of my tires every time i stop, and go over them pretty thoroughly at the end of the day, plus another quick check in the morning. 3 times a year or so i catch a flat, sometimes it's off the wheel by the time i catch it if it was one of those days where i loaded and then hauled butt for 8 hours before stopping. With duals its no big deal, pull up in a 4x4 grab a can of starting fluid and blow it back in the run then find the nail/screw/bolt and plug it. On a super single that would of been a road call sorting on the side of the road with a ruined tire and possible ruined rim. Looking at it purely in a financial sense i don't see how the savings will outweigh that once a year road call.

I'm all about saving money so correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Tb0n3 and DSK333 Thank this.
  5. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Spyder

That is a risk of the wide singles. They do need attention.
    Should one go, yes your probably going to be sitting awhile. They are more common now than 15 years ago, so getting one from a shop is not like it was. That may be why i am such a fanatic about keeping an eye on tires in general.

A funny thing about tires, I actually got two large cans of Fix A Flat just as an emergency thing. Never used them. Ended up tossing them out.

6. Bluefin60

Bluefin60 Bobtail Member

May 30, 2017
    That trailer is not worth your time. The kink in the right side rail in the picture would stop me from buying it. Also in another picture near the 5th wheel plate you can see damage to the side rail and it looks as if someone tried to heat the rail to repair the damage.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    But i do pay attention. A good thorough cheek every night aftet a day of rinning. And once overs every time i stop during the day. But say they are good at 0500 when i pull out in the morning, i go and load by 0700, give the tires a quick check before pulling out, but if i picked up a nail or screw at the loading point its easy to not see it if it's a slow leak or positioning. 7 hours later at highway speeds that slow leak and 45k lbs on the deck can equal blow out where in a dual it is likely to simply be a flat tire cause the other tire supported the weight.

Now if i ran a different product where picking up screws and nails was not as common id probably be willing to give them a try.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    It’s rare that I find any company other than a van freight outfit that only bumps docks or sticks and bricks flatbed hauler running the super singles since they are usually subject to minimal tire risk, as opposed to dump and trash trucks.

DSK333, spyder7723 and Zeviander Thank this.
  9. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    That trailer has spent a lot of time in Ontario or Illinois/Wisconsin (the frame has seen a ####-ton of road salt, and trust me, I see older trailers like this that run Ontario for years at my company). Unless you are planning on investing some serious cash into it for the long term, you might want to increase your standards and maybe save up a little more money. It almost looks like it might be worth more as scrap than a trailer at this point. Have you aired it up and tested the brakes? Does it pass inspection?

The frame alone is in pretty awful shape. What are you pulling it with? If your truck looks good, you are going to make it look awful dragging this bag of rust around.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  10. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I get a flat with duals I can pull off the wheel and have it repaired. I get a flat with a Super Single and I will most like ruin the wheel and be stuck on the side of the road. With duals there's still support on that side of the axle by the remaining air up tire. You don't have that with a single. How can you not see this? I'll pass.

11. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Thanks. I haven't even returned his call since I spoke to him last. I'm going to pass on it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.