What's too short?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Gin86, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Gin86

Gin86 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Huntsville, AL
    I've called a couple local driving schools today and I should be hearing back from one on Monday. But. I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone anywhere. I'm just under 5'2, and I have no clue if I can reach the pedals. I don't know anyone that drives a truck to try it. Has anyone come across a successful short driver? I'm talking under 5'4 :(

laaylor Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I'll take a stab at that.

Ive seen dwarfs shorter than that doing flatbed. (Im not politically correct, the term as I understood it from childhood is accurate but snowflakes freak out and really have a hard time...)

I bet you will sort all that out when you jump into a tractor. Go to the nearest dealership with tractors hop into a couple. Solve this for yourself before you do go to school.

Short or tall means nothing out here. Really. Seriously nothing at all. Fat and thin neither. ive seen tractors adopt a pernament lean when some big ol boys hop out. Airride to boot.

In fact come to think on it. Autos disposed of the clutch pedal in some models. It gets easier as time goes by.

Be calm. Look forward to a bright future.

laaylor, Grubby, BigBob410 and 4 others Thank this.
  4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Go to your local truck dealer and sit in the truck (doesnt cost anything to sit in a new truck). Adjust the seat and the mirrors to your specs. If you can work the pedals and see over the hood and us the mirrors at the same time to see the drive tires and back, you're good.

5. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    I'm 5'2.5 been driving 37 years 10 dash 4

laaylor, Grubby, ShooterK2 and 8 others Thank this.
  6. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    When I was in CDL school there was a student there that was 5 foot on the nose. Couldn't drive a lick, but had no problem reaching the pedals.

7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Oh.. before I forget... there is one thing very important to remember ALWAYS.

One hand for yourself, one for the tractor door or grab handle and then both feet. Always. Always and always. It's a long fall to the gravel, you do not want to take that fall.

8. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    I remember in the days of the cab overs and being young and dumb, just open the door and jump out..now a few decades later wonder why the back and knees ache.

Grubby, BigBob410, 12 ga and 7 others Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Straight jump too. All that way down.

I also recall certain cab overs that were not quite right for people to get into the #### things.

I once cleared 15 foot off a set of steps at 15, I was told I did well but the bones will retain that damage for life. (They did not break where they were supposed to.. ) And I cleared a 25 foot hill on a BMX bike once. Knots lasted a month.

God it was good to be young. Unbreakable.

Grubby and SingingWolf Thank this.
  10. Gin86

Gin86 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Huntsville, AL
    Lol snowflakes lmao. Thank you! I'll be visiting a dealer tomorrow lol. I never thought of this. Also......on your other comment, short people don't have very far to fall lol.

Grubby, Friend and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Gin86

Gin86 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Huntsville, AL
    I'll be doing that tomorrow :D

Grubby, TripleSix and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.