What's wrong with dock work?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Chaos268, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Chaos268

Chaos268 Light Load Member

May 20, 2013
    I have heard truck drivers complain if they had to do dock work. But to me, it was a blast. Good pay, good exercise. After all, people pay money to go to the gym and work out, when I worked the dock I was strong as a bull, great cardio, I wore thirty length and thirty in the waste genes. You go home after your shift. To me, it was a blast. I doubt if there are many posts on this board, but there might be. After all, many of you started out working the dock. You must have some stories to share. I never worked at this particular company, but here is a video of what it is like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VwNRVzDDHac

heyns57 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    To each his own.Trk drivers are paid to drive trk.If my company wants me to unload,not a problem,pay me lumper pay.Consider what otr companies pay their drivers,I won't help save them money by getting paid chump change to unload.But if the price is right and a lot of sucking up I may be persuaded.

skootertrashr6, toostroked and rockee Thank this.
  4. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Dock work is great, if it is your job to work on a dock. My job was to get it there intact and on time.

Puppage and rockee Thank this.
  5. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    When you say "good pay" there might be a little mis-truth to that. (Some) Dock workers might get paid well but like Pattyj says, why get paid chump change. You might get paid what, 50 bucks to unload a trailer for your carrier that might take 4 hours? While a lumper or service might get paid 200 - 300 for the same load. Lol I don't think so.

toostroked, Big Don and pattyj Thank this.
  6. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    I worked a shipping job loading vans with a forklift when I was 16.... and loaded reefers by hand out of a freezer warehouse. I agree with the op, its good excercise. Not a bad job at all, beats flippin' burgers. The best part, though, was when I was hauling general freight... bumping the dock and some worker says "hey driver, you have to use that pallet jack to unload". I always did enjoy showing my OSHA forklift certification to their supervisor. Haha

7. Chase05

Chase05 Medium Load Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Central NY
    I'd imagine there's a difference between knowing that you're going to be a dockworker for the day and showing up at a receiver (after driving, perhaps for most/all of the day) and discovering that you, alone, are suddenly responsible for a load/unload. The pay, yeah, the companies I've looked into, unload pay is garbage, like 10-12 bucks an hour.

rockee Thanks this.
  8. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    You're just wasting your genes!

9. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    Dock work is great...... If you are a dock worker .

DriverToBroker, Chinatown and rockee Thank this.
  10. Boka

Boka Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2012
    I've delivered to the save-a-lot warehouse few times where they let you use their electric pallet jack and i unloaded 22-24 pallets in 15-20 min. I got paid $50 to do it. I knew i can unload faster than them and luckily i didn't have to break the pallets down, just count the few different makes of juice and be done with it.

Also been to few distribution centers where you'd have million different things on a pallet and you have to separate everything and a count for it, it was not worth it since i had to drive all day afterwards. It probably would have taken me 3-4 hrs to do it by myself and on top of it you have to deal with BS their supervisor tells you....

11. Chaos268

Chaos268 Light Load Member

May 20, 2013
    I used to love to drive a fork lift. We had an 80 door barn, and one fork lift driver for the whole thing. Of course we had a couple more fork lifts when someone needed them for a skid or two, but the main fork lift driver, that's all he did. I did his job whenever he was out. That was a blast. I did a little hosteling too. I never drove a truck on the streets though. I did want to do some city driving, but never did. I never wanted to drive line haul or over the road. Anyway, dock work was fun for me. I worked a lot at Teamster lines, Consolidated, Carolina, Yellow. I worked at an old non-union line named Thurston Motor Lines too. I guess telling all that sort of gives away my age.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.