what's your motivation?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by 1nonly, Feb 16, 2010.

1. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    The biggest part of being healthy, especially on the road where temptations abound, is motivation. If you truly want to be fit, you will find a way. So let's share our reasons, and maybe help someone else find a reason they haven't thought of before.

Personally, all the standard reasons apply. I don't want to die young of some horrible preventable disease. I want to sleep better at night, and feel better during the day. And the vain shallow part of me likes to dress in nice clothes and then look in the mirror and say "#&*^ girl, you clean up good!"

The one thing that really keeps me going, though, is the fact that I have active hobbies. I am an outdoorsy girl and I love to hike, ride horseback, kayak, bike, anything that gets me out into nature. None of those things would be any fun, however, if I weighed 400lbs and could barely walk to the restroom. For me to enjoy the things I enjoy (did that make any sense?:biggrin_2559:), I need to stay fit. And that is my biggest motivation.

What's yours?

Baack, Lil'Devil, Raider and 1 other person Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Raider

Raider Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2009
    I feel the same way the things I enjoy doing when not driving require me to be in shape.
    Before driving I shod horses for 11 years and that helped keep me in shape!!

kickin chicken, 1nonly and Baack Thank this.
  4. RIBS

RIBS Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Ward , Arkansas
    I Try to eat less salt, this has several benefits including reducing water retention in my joints.

Also salt is not good for blood pressure,, Staying away from it will help a little as most of the food we eat has so much salt already.

I'm lucky that my sleeper is a 84 inch so im able to do situps with a little help using a resistance tube. a bit like a bungee cord but made for exercising.

Plus I take 1x multi-vitimin and 2x fish oil capsules everyday.

I try to walk everyday for at least 30 min. I sort of miss the days of flat-bedding it kept me more active. Since I worked out how to close the Trailer doors I have moved on. :biggrin_25525:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
    Raider Thanks this.
  5. PinkPedal

PinkPedal Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    While it's hard for truckers and shift workers, it sure isn't impossible. I work 14 hours a day, sometimes 18, but I still get in workouts.

Staying fit and strong is important to my job and it's my healthy insurance!

I prepare my meals and take food with me in coolers where ever I go in advance.

I'm also a Figure Competitor and will be competing in Las Vegas in November, so I am a FANATIC when it comes to health and fitness. (I got a long way to go, though!)

HERE'S TO YOUR HEALTH! XOXO

1nonly and Lil'Devil Thank this.
  6. Lil'Devil

Lil'Devil Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Great White North
    First of all I don't want to become a big fat ####, and I don't want my man to want to run off with some skinnier girl. I want to be able to wear nice clothes without fat rolls hanging out.

Secondly I am concerned about my health, I am a health food fanatic (thanks to my mom and all her natural heath classes) I don't want to get diabetes or a heart attack.

When I am working I am always on the go running pretty hard, 700 miles a day, 16+ hour days. I mostly eat light meals out of my fridge as I really don't have time to stop for meals, but if I did fortunatly there are some good places up here to eat good real food instead of fast food. I will eat out once per week, on my last run, since I don't have time the rest of the week.

When I am home on the weekends I am very active, I bike ride, hike and canoe and kayak, and I also weight train so I keep in pretty good shape.

When you have job where you are sedentary all day (not just truckers but anyone who sits all day) you really need to change the way you eat, you don't need as many calories, forget the three heavy meals a day and just eat light snacks

1nonly Thanks this.
  7. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    I don't care how busy you are, I can always find an hour to get in some type of work out. Depending on the weather I might go and run, I also carry 25lb. dumbbells, and a jump rope. I will get in some type of physical activity at least 4 times a week. Over the last year and a half I have lost 40lbs. and have so much more energy now. I also haul over sized loads and heavy equiptment so throwing chains helps me burn a few extra calories.

8. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    I do it to keep in shape and impress all the supermodels that i run into on the road at truckstops. :biggrin_2559:

1nonly Thanks this.
  9. PinkPedal

PinkPedal Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    SWEET! RunningMan! :biggrin_25514:

Ya know, there really is no excuses not to work out at least a few times a week. I'm a fitness fanatic so I know I'm just weird. Jump rope is one of the best workouts for people who are pressed for time.

10. kickin chicken

kickin chicken Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    SC
    I love to swim. I am a member of the YMCA. I was on the swim team for 11 years. I also like volleyball and dancing as well...

1nonly Thanks this.
  11. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    My only motivation is women. I like checking out women, and would enjoy a return glance.

1nonly Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.