What's your road kill score?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SteveScott, Apr 23, 2019.

1. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    At last count, 13 deer, more skunks than I care to remember, one dog, and a BMW. The dog and the BMW were about a month apart when I was 19, and had just gotten my CDL.

Running 2 lane roads at night, it's not if you hit deer, it's when. After a few, your heart don't even skip a beat.

not4hire, x1Heavy and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I’m guessing your the reason this is out?

They training because of you.

booley and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    It's too bad our trucks are not as tough as the movies make them out to be.
    In movies they are plowing through cars like a hot knife through butter, and there never seems to be any damage to the truck. Not even a dented bumper.

5. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    2 confirmed bird kills, 2 probables.
    1 possum
    1 squirrel
    Gave one deer a bad headache. I saw him standing there and was slowing down. He put his head down and put a hole in my hood and busted the driver's side directional. I parked off to the side to drag the carcass off the road, but there was no sign of him. I got an attaboy letter from the safety guy for not ditching the truck. (Ditching the truck for animals was a hot button issue for him)

I hit a skunk while taking a city bus for a test drive. Ran thru the bus wash about 6 times. I was headed around for the 7th when the supervisor flagged me down...."HEY! Why are you---MY GOD, WHAT is that SMELL!?!"

not4hire Thanks this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    While I drove for Acme Truck Line I hit a coyote AND a roadrunner within a mile of each other. What are the odds?

Other than that chock up another coyote, a deer, two owls (one left a thick splash of greenish fat right in my line of sight), many turtles, oppossum, doves, sparrows, hawks, snakes, and raccoons. One pigeon flew over an overpass and managed to wedge himself headfirst under my visor. I stared at his dying butt for half an hour until I found a safe place to park. I was snapping on rubber gloves and opened the door when he fell out and flew away.

bryan21384, not4hire and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    5 deer, 1 coyote,I bird, 1 tiny turtle, a few opossums and squirrels come to mind.

8. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    So far just 3 confirmed bird kills, including one that put an 8” blood splatter on my windshield

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There are sections of freeway the birds like to get behind the tractor to one side near the front of the trailer. It's not so bad but they kept getting into the vision of the right mirror. Ive begun to think they enjoy surfing or somehow riding that air without having to flap for a distance like that.

not4hire Thanks this.
  10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Countless gophers, squirrels, chipmunks and mice, lots of birds, a few deer, a cow (it was nighttime, it was raining, the cow was dark, unlit and not wearing a reflective vest), a couple cats, a dog (maybe :(), a couple coyotes, a wolf (okay, technically he hit me because I was stopped and he attacked my truck, so no damage... weirdest darn thing), a duck and at least one duckling :(:( (I had to straddle them and the duck was too tall and the last duckling was in the tire tracks... the rest of the ducklings probably got run over by following vehicles while looking for momma :(), a moose, skunk, raccoon, elk, punted at least one bear but don't think I killed it (and no lions or tigers), bumped mountain sheep, bison and caribou.

I think that's it, I don't really keep count.

ETA: had to bump a camel to get him to move.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Lepton1 and homeskillet Thank this.
  11. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I was delivering a load of pipe to a pipeline right-of-way and it was a very long bush road to get there (~3 hours) and had a raven surfing off the bow wave from my truck just over the driver’s side mirror and in front of the windshield. I've got some pictures and video I'll see if I can dig up.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.