Wheel Bearing Replacement Semi Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by OldRed98, May 18, 2022.

1. OldRed98

OldRed98 Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    Hello, I had a wheel seal go out on my semi trailer. The bearings didn't look too bad but it was a major seal leak so I decided to replace the bearings.

I decided to not replace the race when I installed the new bearings and now have the hub already installed. but now I'm reading that you should always replace the race when doing new bearings.

Is it okay to replace new bearings with an old race? or should I tear it all down again and start over?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Bearing and race are to be changed as a set.

Dino soar, krupa530, AModelCat and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Tigerfishinc

Tigerfishinc Light Load Member

May 28, 2021
    What James said - but if you think those bearings were ok / it’ll be fine. Monitor the temps with an IR gun on a loaded trailer

5. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    That’s what I was hoping. It would be ideal to have replaced the races. But it’s already assembled now so hoping it won’t cause me an issue. I’m losing hundreds everyday from having my truck down. So maybe I will run on it and fix it when work slows down. As long as it’s safe. The races didn’t have any visible damage.

If I start over then I'm back to the parts store to get a new wheel seal.

I can’t find anyone to work on my truck around here. so I got to do my first hub seal replacement that turned into a brake job too.

6. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I've done more than a few new bearings without replacing the races. I wouldn't be to concerned, just keep an eye on it for awhile

7. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

So are you willing to chance it over the cost of a seal? When your at home its maintenance. When your on the road, its a breakdown. Which cost more.

I'm not broke down in my yard or garage. Price of seal is cheap compaired to a wheel end failure, tow, damage to someone else's vehicle or family, axle surgeon. Cheaper to fix correctly at home everytime.

But I'm not a gambler. Lord knows enough bad stuff happens out of are control.

8. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

That lazy chicken sheet repair work. You should not be allowed to own tools.

9. OldRed98

Apr 18, 2017
    Colorado
    only good news is that I’m 100% local. I should have some down time coming. But in middle of a big job when that seal let go. I get it… do it right the first time.

but you really think that thing is a risk to fly off the truck? I guess if you don’t pay attention to it.

10. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    You will have shiny little metal in the gear oils as the old race eats into the new; bearings and gets into rear end?

11. jamespmack

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Won't happen in first 5 miles. But it will eventually. Old bearing, old races. Or new bearings, new races. Only option.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.