When do you scale?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by lovesthedrive, Sep 11, 2009.

1. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    I'm tired & probably aren't understanding correctly... But in my belief, a signed bill of lading is proof that you hauled the load.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    When you're new and have no clue as to what the truck weighs, scale it. Do it enough times so you'll know for sure. Then you'll be able to set a limit of weight when the scale is needed. If you change tractors then weigh that one too to see if the on-board weighing gage is accurate. I don't care what anybody says no one can tell the weight of an axle if it's a few hundred pounds over. And remember to scale with a full tank of fuel and you in the truck.

4. Lynchmob

Lynchmob Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Newb question here. Do all or even most truck stop scales weigh each axle independently? Fascinating how that works! How does it work?

5. Owner's Operator

Owner's Operator Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Chicago IL
    The scale is subdivided into three parts:

1) First one weighs the steering axle

2) Second weights the tractor drive axles

3) Third weights the trailer tandems

6. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Unless you're on a single axle scale... weigh each axle seperately, and add for GVW.

Or... I was at a corn shipper up in Twin Falls ID that weighed the steer and drive axle together, and then had you pull forward to get the tandems.

Then there was a Tysons place that had some other wierd method to deal with a busted scale...

Gen'l Mills plant that was under the CAT scale weight by 2000 lbs... never trust a shippers scale!

7. Lynchmob

Aug 18, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I worked at a place that had a single axle scale. One weight for the whole truck. So the drivers would scale the steer, then the drives (I assume add the two together and subtract to get the drives) then finally the tandem. Just wondered if there's a way to know if the truck stop scale uses the 3 axle system or just the one

8. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Here's a scenario for you....

I picked up boulders....[​IMG]Out in BFE in ID....
    Nearest scale was over 120 miles to Twin Falls.......

Both times I loaded, my (air) scales told me I was at 16.5K on the drives and trailer axles...each....

When I scaled at North American in San Marcos I was 81K the first time and 80.5 the second load.....
    Went through the coop down the 93 both times like that and no problem....

Now what do you do when you take a load like that and the scale is far from the shipper????

9. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    The scale ticket from a CAT scale or Interstate scalewill weigh each group separately and the whole rig together, the guaranteed weight is the whole rig, the individual weights have always added up to the same for me but those weights are not guaranteed to be right because you could have a load shift rendering the axle group weights incorrect after it scaled out correctly.

I use other scales, too, as long as they are certified public scales.

Lynchmob and The Challenger Thank this.
  10. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    Look at a map :biggrin_25524: ?

:biggrin_25523:

11. Lynchmob

Aug 18, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Gotcha! Thanks for the info guys!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.