When on your 10 hour break

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LogsRus, Apr 7, 2008.

1. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    It's funny how the warm weather just makes us all so very active! I just want to go and go and go and go:biggrin_2559:
    I am not driving a tractor/trailer though:biggrin_25513:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Yeah logs, you and I are sitting at nice desk with a view and a TV.

King

4. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Well that only works to a certain extent. When we moved from MN to Vegas, lol...

We werent used to the 120 degree heat in August...and the 80-90 degree heat at night. So, needless to say, our AC was on all the time...set right at 60! lol. Id walk outside and a wave of heat would make me think tiwce about doing anything outside...especially since my glasses would fog up instantly.

5. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    When I do drive OTR and when I decide to stop for the day I hit up a hotel. I check in and get things settled. I then go and find some food, eat it, go back to the hotel room and sort things out, update the log book, and watch a little tv before going to bed. I usaully wake up 1.5-2 hours before I leave in order to get everything packed up and organized in the truck. I try my hardest to stay legal. I have only run illegal once, and that was only for an extra 30 minutes to get to a hotel, I spent the whole day in a canadian border crossing station. I had only drove for maybe 45 minutes that entire day up until that last 30 minutes. But I can't sleep in the truck because of all of the equipment in them, or just because of a lack of a sleeper.

6. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    LogsRus. Can you give a tutoral on a log book. I would use some of my step dad's old log's but I can't trust them because he did run illegal at times. When I leave I will only run legal for the very reason you stated plus I value my life a bit to much to be falling asleep behind the wheel. Any company or driver that want's me to push it can kiss it right on Hollywood and Vine because I'm not gonna do it.

How does the 11/14 rule work? Just a question for starter's. I'd rather get some knowledge on it now then having to cram it when I get to Springfield.

7. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    The 11/14 rule works something like this. You can drive a max of 11 hours before you have to stop for 10 hours. You have an avaliable 3 hours to stop and do other things such as using a restroom and eating. So that gives you 14 hours. After you start driving you have to quit when you hit 11 hours of driving or 14 hours of one duty time, which ever one comes first. That gives you 3 hours to use the restroom, eat, and fill up your truck. I hope this helps, it gets a lot more complicated when you get into team driving and sleeper berth option.

8. driver4015

driver4015 Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Bend ,Oregon
    I usualy park the truck,do my pti,get something to eat,and go to bed. But now I have my new computer,will have to add that to my days end routine. So much for a good nites sleep!!! But I'm getting to be a old man, and don't need as much sleep as I used to. I get along fine on 6-7 hours a nite. But then again I not the least bit afraid of taking a hour nap during the day if I feel its needed.:smt066:smt066:smt068:blackknight:

9. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Here is a link that explains the 11 & 14 hour rule and then you can feel free to ask questions. I hope you have power point on your computer

Go to this thread and click on the link
    Then a powerpoint documnt should come up.
    Click on View (in the tool bar of your powerpoint) and then click on view slide show. Then you just click to draw the next line etc.

If you can't pull it up then let me know

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...tions/16374-powerpoint-on-the-11-14-hour.html

10. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

I don't want to mislead anyone here so I want to correct mainly one thing here

Once you enter lines 3 or 4 you have 14 hours to get your 11 hours of driving in. Line 3 is not the only thing that starts the clock.

If I go to lines 3 or 4 # 8:00 am then my 14 hour is up # 10:00 pm.
    If I hit 11 hours of driving before 10:00 pm I MUST stop driving.

I don't care what you do in that 14 hour period as long as you don't drive over 11 and you don't DRIVE passed 10:00 pm. YOu can be on line 4 passed the 14th hour!
    Sportster sorry I know what you are saying you usually start your day driving which will start your 14 hr but some start with line 4 and would think it doesn't count in the 14 hour rule. Or maybe you don't know?
    Quick answer but the power point should explain in detail.

11. rch10007

rch10007 Medium Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Madison, AL
    You have the 8/2 split option still right? That will extend your 14 hour day...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.