When on your 10 hour break

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LogsRus, Apr 7, 2008.

1. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yes but split isn't being discussed in that part! I want to stress the only way to extend the 14 hours is to have 8 hours in the sleeper

2 hours or more does not extend your 14 hour. Only 8 hours or more. However the 2 hour break can come in your original 14 hour period it won't extend the 14 hour but at your 14th hour you only have to take 8 hours in the SLEEPER.

Here is a link on split breaking.
    I can't remember if it's power point or not but if you need help just ask.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr.../17454-1-sheet-explaining-split-breaking.html

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    It is ok, I normally don't start my day driving. As far as I know if you are on duty the clock is running whether you are driving or not. It is my mistake that I did not clear that up in my original post. Thank you for clearing that up. I ussually spend 2 hours getting things straight before driving at work so yes that time counts against me.

4. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    LogsRus, I can't bring it up. I was going to DL PP from MS but there's no sense in paying for a program I'm ony gonna use once. I would love to try this before I head out next Sunday.

5. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    This is not an ad, believe me.

Skunk - Leaving aside my professional opinion of Microsoft products, there's no need to buy MS Office.

Go download OpenOffice. It's a reverse engineered software suite that reads/writes MS Office formats - as well as others. I've yet to run into a file created by MS Office that couldn't be read by OpenOffice - and vice versa.

And it's free.

http://www.openoffice.org/

6. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Lurchgs, thanks for the link, but I can't download that. I'll be here for 3+ day's trying to keep the computer online just to DL it. What other basic program can I use like Acrobat Reader to view it?

7. driver4015

driver4015 Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Bend ,Oregon
    Our loads are pretty fleiable, I don't need to leave till saturday, but will leave on friday morning just to be safe.( had a bladder stone taken out on tuesday) so have had too much time off to suite me. and can take my time getting to Denver. I am a solar powered driver(ha,ha) and like to sleep at night when possible. Have pulled my share and part of someone elses "over niteres" in the last 30 yrs. I deserve it!!!!! I run legal. And I enjoy working for a company that not only lets me do that but requires it. No complaints from me. Stay safe out there and see ya in Denver on monday

8. driver4015

driver4015 Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Bend ,Oregon
    You need to come to work for us!!! Get to live in butiful central Oregon, lots of water ,trees and sking. good company, you'd be our 8th employee(including the boss and his wife, whose job you'd be taking, much to her delight) And you'd get to work with safe compliant drivers (like me) who NEVER would give you and bad day!!!! HA HA . think about it!!!

9. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    How about an invite for the rookie? Oregon was some of the prettiest country I've driven through yet and I enjoyed my little 34-hour reset there in Bend. I couldn't imagine trying to drive US-26 in the winter, though.

10. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    After living under the "old" rules for 20+ years I was like everyone else asking WHY and not looking forward to a change but afterward and actually getting to get some REAL off time, I love the new hours! I get quality sleep which I now need after a wonderful battle with cancer last summer! It was stupid under the old rules to try and squeeze all of the things you HAD to do inside of 8 hours! Eat, shower, sleep, and do laundry (if you had to)! We could sometimes actually get 5 hours of sleep! LOL The hardest part is still a problem which is waiting for these prima donnas who have to spend an hour in the shower! Like they have a hot date or something! There isn't anyone else waiting!

I usually, when I stop do my PTI and logbook. I'll then go online quickly to check mail and then pack the bag if day 2 after last shower. NO I do not feel I need to shower everyday UNLESS I had to get sweaty doing some kind of work. It's a waste of money to do so, the money being having to wash clothes each week as I only carry 7 changes in the truck! That's 2 weeks and I can do it a lot cheaper at home and not have to worry about how much diesel the driver before pumped on his clothes! Plus those machines you put money into really don't work as good as mine at my home! Any way I head in and eat my evening meal which is the only meal I pay for. hen shower if shower day, then I'll walk around the parking lot (weather permitting) and get back to the truck and turn the computer back on and watch a hulu movie (while they are still free!) or play a game and recheck my scheduling and check the road construction sites for any changes to prepare fo my next day of driving. I'll usually get about 6-8 hours of sleep which my body decides I need, but the alarm is set for 1 hour before the 10 is up. I get up and pull my AM high calorie sweet tooth snack out fix my thermouses of coffee (from my coffee maker in the truck) read the news and comics and when my 10 are up do my PTI draw the first 6 lines of the day and release the brakes and my day starts!

I'm one of those drivers that over the years found out that the hours of 12 midnight and 0300 are my worse fo driving, so I usually try to be in the bunk at that time but I can do my 10 if I can get it to end around 0200! It's the way MY body works and when I was with O&S my dispatcher knew this and never worried bout it as if I'm going to be late they already knew it or there was a mechanical or weather problem! Trans AM figured it out after they kept changing dispatchers on me and I would have to inform them and the same with this last company I was with! I do not need to have my hand held!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.