When workers present...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ZVar, Jun 9, 2011.

1. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    by all means yes--if you see them slow right down--dont take a chance
    i think the main problem is tho---when is it an active work zone?????
    as soon as i saw the workers i was on the brakesnjakes--but to no avail
    other states have the flashing lights on the signs--a good idea---or maybe a flag girl---really good idea--nothing better than a cute flag girl
    but after 10 miles of playing where is waldo trying to decide if it is active or not is a pain in the ###

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gravdigr

gravdigr Road Train Member

May 2, 2011
    Hollidaysburg, PA
    yeah, here's another fun one...school zones. On my cdl test route there is a particular school zone with five different schools in it from head start to high school. Regular speed limit is 40MPH, 25MPH when children are present. Here's the rub, during the test if you just drove 25MPH and no children were visible you would get a point for impeding traffic, but if you were going over 25 and didn't see the kid coming out of the convenience store and slow down it's an auto fail. I just drove 30MPH and kept my eyes peeled, no kids appeared but I think I got a point for driving too slow. Still passed though. Really prefer the xMPH limit when light flashing signs. Takes out the guesswork.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI

That's the one currently annoying me yes. But it happens all over the place every year.

-Steven

johnday Thanks this.
  5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    What really pisses me off, is that out here, they post those reduced speed limit road constructions signs long before the work starts, and often leave them up for days, maybe weeks after the work is done. They don't say anything about workers being present or not.

I've seen those signs left up for weeks when nothing was happening. So if there is no blockage of the road, and no construction going on, they will still write you for speeding in a construction zone. And this isn't just here in Utah, I've pretty much seen it all over the west.

I guess what they are doing is contracting with a barricade company to have those signs up from "around" one date, to "around" another date. It's the only thing I can figure out.

ZVar Thanks this.
  6. gravdigr

gravdigr Road Train Member

May 2, 2011
    Hollidaysburg, PA
    Around here we call that a revenue trap.

Big Don Thanks this.
  7. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    i heard the explanation for the leaving up of the signs--has something to do with the state pays or gets paid with federal money--it seemed wird but it was kinda like once they are up--they stay up until the contract is closed and everybody is happy

8. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

That last little lane change going north is quite the hazard, even at the speedlimit. I came through there last week dragging an 8 axle empty. Right where it ended was a bad hole, just about took the wheel out of my hand. I saw last night they had switched things around a bit so you can actually miss it.
    Seems like between Flint and Birch Run it's been under construction for a good 10 years. In that light, it will likely always have construction.:biggrin_25525:

9. groundpounder

groundpounder Road Train Member

Nov 13, 2009
    My sincere thanks to those of you that slow down in work zones....Now that I'm on the other side of the barrels I can tell you it is a little scary with traffic being so close at times...

So far the worst offenders I've seen are distracted soccer moms on the cell and high school/college age kids they just don't care or so it seems...

Truck drivers are among the best at slowing down and giving us a little extra space, it is appreciated..

As for signs being left up when it appears nobody is working there are so many variables that can contribute.....ie weather, staffing, equiptment breakdowns etc. can all shut a work zone down..

10. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

Hey, are you the guy I saw leaning on a dumptruck yesterday?:biggrin_2559:

11. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville

Many contruction zones are very active at 3 am. And you won't even be able to do the posted construction speed cause they will have there work lights aim directly into your windshield to a point where you will most likely be doing 10 to 15 mph

canuck in da truck Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.