When workers present...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ZVar, Jun 9, 2011.

1. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    It's such a simple answer. If you're lucky and have a sign that says"when workers are present" you enter the zone at the lower posted speed limit. Then when you can see that there's absolutely no one working or any work being done then you can accelerate to the other posted speed. I wouldn't unless it was a holiday or some other reason that you know for sure the workers are not out there otherwise just stay the lower speed limit. You never know because there just might be a pair of workers shooting elevations or even one guy fueling equipment. Those guys would get you a ticket if caught.

For a construction zone that just says a slower speed limit. You enter that zone at the lower speed limit and continue until you're out of the zone.

It's that simple. No reason to get upset or wonder why, it's a fact of life and just deal with it. It's not going to slow your trip down all that much unless it goes of for miles and miles and then you should re-plan your trip.

ZVar Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Now your talking the good talk Bazerk. Proud of you. Sounds like your driving is mucho better.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI

While you are correct it's the simple answer, it's also not so simple in reality. If I do say 45 (the construction speed limit) I'm now the only one doing so. That means anyone from a motorcycle to an 18 wheeler is passing me at the other posted limit of 60. Well 60 to 65, which means even though I might be legal, I'm still doing 15-20 below the flow of traffic. That now makes me the hazard. Then there's the fact that if workers are not present, doing 44 through there isn't legal as the minimum speed normally 45.

I guess my annoyance with not knowing is simply I feel like either way I'm going to be wrong. If I do 45 and no workers are around I'm breaking the law. If I do 60 and workers are around I'm breaking the law.

On a 5 mile or more construction zone, it could be 4.5 miles until there are workers present, and as soon as I see equipment in use, or of course workers, I slow down. I guess I'm just mostly complaining that it would be nice to have a "Speed Limit 45 when flashing signs" instead of the "When Workers Present" signs.

-Steven

5. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey

Don't let any other drivers dictate on how you should be driving in a givin situation. If those other vehicles are zipping all around you that does not make you the hazard, And I'd like to see a judge in the court system give you a tickey for going too slow if you were driving what the speed limit said to drive. Especially if it's dark. How can you know if all the people there have gone home. You can't, so you drive the lower speed linit.

I don't know where you get this truck stop legal advice but if you're travelling the posted speed limit and you think you'll become a hazard you will never become an impairment because you're doing what you think is right. You can always say you saw a worker back there fueling the truck. You've got to relax a bit and drive your truck. Don't let anybody push you. And of course the first time you blow throgh at high speed you'll get a ticket and they are not pretty.

Big Don Thanks this.
  6. groundpounder

groundpounder Road Train Member

Nov 13, 2009
    ha ha...

nope, yesterday I was driving one with the A/C cranked.... :yes2557:

7. Sequoia

Sequoia Road Train Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Those construction workers who are working right by the cones I'm passing scare the heck out of me. I'll move over onto the shoulder and ride the rumble strips if I have to.

8. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I agree. But I've noticed, at least in the Chicago area, that some of the worst offenders are other construction workers!
    They might go from 4 lanes to 2, and slow traffic to 45, and a pickup with "ABC paving" or similar will fly by you at 60. Or dump trucks that don't slow down in the construction zone. Construction workers want to be safe when they're working, but many don't practice what they preach.
    :blackknight:

9. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    I got stopped at the front of a constrauction zone, I was slowing down but not down to the posted speed, the cop was nice and let me off with a verbal warning. (Good thing he was a WCW fan and I had T-shirts in the truck......) That was my freebie so I drive the posted speed now. I'll still get where I'm going....

10. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    unless its very obvious no workers are present i drive the slower speed limit, if there are workers right by the road ill slow down well below that and give them as much room as i can.

Big Don Thanks this.
  11. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    its funny how you can tell by some ones comments or remarcks of where they drive or dont drive
    for instance-(i mean no offence either)--gas haulers advice--which is good advice--of how the construction wonet slow down your trip--but for a few minutes---just let me use my magical powers and guess that he doesnt drive through michigan---i really think they cover every road with signs in april--start work in july--then quit in august--and leave the signs up till january---the whole state is a construction zone and its a very big area for those 10 construction workers to cover

johnday Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.