WHERE’S THE FREIGHT

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by insanityeight, Oct 9, 2018.

1. insanityeight

insanityeight Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2013
    birmingham al
    Last year flats were wide open up to the thanksgiving holidays. This year its been dead as a door nail for going om 2 or 3 months already. I mean rediculous. Ive heard its due to the trade talks with trump and foreign countrys and ive heard its just slow. What the $$$$ is going on or is it jist TENNESSEE STEEL HAULERS??

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Yup, dead everywhere

Lepton1, Oldironfan and insanityeight Thank this.
  4. insanityeight

insanityeight Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2013
    birmingham al
    Well it aint dead on my 123 LOADBOARD app. Im bout to move to mag transport so i can stay busy.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I know 0 about flat beds, but here's my theory.

Last year the highway bill got signed. That was an ### load of equipment, steel, and pre fabbed beams and other pieces that got moved into place.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    We have had 4 all time record months in a row here. It’s so far from dead it’s not even funny.

7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Lumber on the west coast is as busy as I've ever seen it. That's the good news.
    The bad news is that everybody and their brother has gotten into the flatbed game and rates are absolutely terrible.

8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Not dead in my lanes. Maybe try a different location?

Loadboards showing some lower rates,.. I'm attributing that to the surge in new rookie O/O's who dont understand the game yet and going to dead places and flooding those markets making it even harder on the locals who normally run there.

The regular hot open deck lanes are still cranking out the freight.

Trucking always has and always will be based on supply and demand. You dont want to be competing in a market with too many trucks. You need to know where the hot lanes are,.. the places the rookies dont know about and then adjust your location as the season and markets change.

Never go into an area with out knowing where your next load will be coming from. Taking a load blindly into an unknown area and then checking the loadboard for loads after you deliver eats up too much time and if you havent figured it out,.. its probably a dead or slow market with cheap rates because your competing with too many other trucks who just took the same high gross loads. What good is a $2mi $3000 load that just put you on the west coast with nothing paying to get you back?

I made a killing from about late April into into Sept moving pretty much nothing but steel, over size crane loads and roofing shingles. Markets change,.. adjust your lanes and learn were the good shippers are and the brokers who have them as clients.

If you guys who are struggling with loads think its tough now,.. no offense,.. this is as honest as I can make it,.. but its only going to get worse here on out. You need to expand your sources and methods for getting loads.

Hurst

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Exactly right. The established carriers count on the slow times to weed out the marginal carriers. It happens every year.

peterbilt_2005, cke, Hurst and 6 others Thank this.
  10. Czar_Zero

Czar_Zero Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Orebegone.
    Guess it's a regional thing, I mean it's been slow where I'm at but I drive for a private carrier and don't haul general freight.

That said, we needed to get some stuff moved by an outside carrier the other day and it was hard to find a flatbed.

Gsm, peterbilt_2005 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  11. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Ought to be an ### load of shingles amd lumber moving around Florida and the Carolinas soon.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.