where are shock absorbers in the regs?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ziggystyles, Apr 2, 2016.

1. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Hey guys...I havent been on here in a while. Im trying to find information on shock absorbers (specifically front end) in the dot regulations. Mainly looking to see where they are required to be on the trucks...etc. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

They should be changed on a regular basis....I used to buy shocks every time i got new steer tires.
    I'm sure the DOT might say something if the shocks were missing!

The truck sure would drive like crap too.

4. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Haha well I think they would say something as well...just trying to figure out where its in the regs that they are required.

5. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Simple if a shock is leaking then maybe a violation not sure. I have had shocks break. Took them off until I get home

6. bowtieboy77

bowtieboy77 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Southern, Ontario
    Shocks are not a dot required equipment. Some truck manufactures do not install them some do. Basically if shocks are installed they need to be secure and not leaking.

Bean Jr. and JReding Thank this.
  7. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Heck, might as well leave the brakes off too. Just something else you have to replace.

8. bowtieboy77

bowtieboy77 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Southern, Ontario
    Well it just so happens front brakes were not mandatory till around mid 1980's. I have never seen a highway tractor with out shocks but I am a municipal mechanic and some of our plows came from factory with out them.

9. chrism1367

chrism1367 Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2014
    We have an old 1999 propane straight truck, a sterling, with no shocks built that way. Does better than one would think without ahocks, still can be a bumpy ride though

10. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    And i'm shure the tires on it last much longer then on the trucks with shocks.:rolleyes:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.