Where Did You Start Driver?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by a1a, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    My 2nd job when I started trucking was hauling boats. Didn't stay but a year because I was driving for an owner-operator vs. being a company driver. The boat company only had 2 company drivers and no opening in the near future, so I bailed. Wasn't sticking around with no benefits.

Speedy356 Thanks this.
  3. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    It's difficult to give as estimate as to how much you'll make.
    I never pay any attention to CPM because the accessorial pays are more important.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  4. Malt Ball Cult

Malt Ball Cult Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2021
    I'll vouch for Pride.

I drove for them for a year, recently. Six months OTR, then 6 months dedicated regional.

I left Pride only because I moved from NW Montana to West Virginia, but am seriously considering going back, it's a really decent outfit to drive for.

Good, well maintained equipment. Fair pay and accessory pay. I was very happy with how I was treated there. I had one sort of big issue with a manager who is no longer there, but got through it just fine. Every other manager I dealt with at Pride was top notch.

As for the OP question, I started at Swift, went through their CDL school in Lewiston, Idaho. Was happy with how that went.

I stayed with Swift for just under a year as an OTR driver. In retrospect, most of the complaints I had with Swift, honestly, were more about me not yet understanding this industry, nor the demands of the job, than about any real problems with the company. Yes, Swift is a huge bureaucratic machine, and that has it's pros, as well as con's.

a1a and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Swift has some accounts in Florida.

6. a1a

a1a Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Thanks Malt Ball Cult. I know Chinatown mentioned them too, and I have seen some different posts about them so I will definitely look into them.

Have a good night everyone. Enjoy the weekend & safe travels.

Malt Ball Cult and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Millis Transfer in 1993. If I only knew then what I know now. I look back at the crap that bottom feeder pulled on me and I just shake my head.
    Now I'd go with any car hauling company that would take and train me. Probably URS, Centurion, or Proficient.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. pete781693

pete781693 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Many years ago after high school I worked for a food service company loading bob trucks and trailers at night. When trailers needed to be spotted at the dock I moved them in and out. On weekends I would ride with bob truck drivers or cover their local routes for them. After I turned 21, my first time ever out in a semi by myself was for an expedited delivery. I was the only one available with a chauffeur’s license so my boss told me to make the delivery (Tampa to Orlando) and if I made the trip safely then I still had a job. I made it and stayed there for a few more years before moving on to other things.

9. Warrior Pump

Warrior Pump Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2015
    I started hauling auto parts. It was nice having a dedicated route. I spent 4 nights a week on the road.

10. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.