Where is everyone #5

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by DDlighttruck, Aug 27, 2017.

1. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Or buy cab and frame glider for 90k. Then build your own drivetrain and be way under that stupid price.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Oh yeah, the Ravens flatbed!!
    Heard one coil so big, took 28 chains & didn't even take the camber out of that sob.!!

4. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Pretty much, lol. The glider itself was between 90-95k, all the components were recycled from the fleet, so the rest of the cost was new parts for the rebuilds and labour (which would be hard to find elsewhere, the guy that built it is a wrenching genius and CAT whisperer). It also had a lot of extra chrome on it too.

IMG_20170724_120034_138.jpg

It was the closest they ever got to building a real show truck. The owner is still as cheap as they come though. I just learned that drivers just got a "raise", no mileage rate increases, but $5 extra for all the work outside the truck, so on average, a jump from $10/hr to $15/hr for strapping and tarping. I'm so glad I left, lol.

5. Zeviander

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Give it a few weeks and the hype will wear off. When Popeyes came to Canada several months ago they had people lining up out the door, but a few weeks later and wait times were almost none.

But it's darn good chicken, my and my wife's favourite in Winnipeg for sure. Haven't tried the sandwich yet though.

Westbound23, Al. Roper, Oxbow and 17 others Thank this.
  6. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Right, that seems the smartest way to go. Except I'm currently way to poor to make that happen. I don't want to finance anything, & like owning my truck & trailer outright.

I may be wrong, but in 2020 isn't it going to be illegal for an individual to build their own glider? Unless you can prove you built one in 2014?

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Well, did a quick search.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/05/dining/popeyes-chicken-sandwiches.amp.html.

Apparently the chicken sammich is so good that black people are killing each other over it.

It’s a conspiracy straight out of the movies!

8. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Cheapskate or not, truck looks beautiful from here!!

Westbound23, Al. Roper, Oxbow and 15 others Thank this.
  9. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I'm not sure about the 2020 part. Idk how they could stop you if you decommission a unit. That's how you avoid FET. And a non powered glider is a replacement part (incomplete vehicle). I'm fine with my 20 year old bucket.

10. Zeviander

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Yeah, he actually dusted off the chequebook for that one. Every glider since has been ordered as a "fleet" truck. Rubber floor and plastic dash.

But he built that for a driver with over 15 years with the company, yet, given the right amount of cash would sell it right out from under him.

Westbound23, Al. Roper, Oxbow and 12 others Thank this.
  11. Zeviander

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    It doesn't seem wise for an independent owner to invest heavily in equipment these days. Either buy new and let the warranty cover large repairs, or buy an old bucket, put enough into it to be comfortable and run well and just run it till something expensive goes.

I understand pride in your ride, but I'm also starting to realize that owning a truck means sacrificing a lot to stay profitable.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.