Where is everyone #5

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by DDlighttruck, Aug 27, 2017.

1. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    They advertise some really nice iron. I looked at them when I was looking to buy. They would even advertise trucks with a warranty. But, in their big truck paper ads, in very small print, if you didn’t bring the truck to their shop in Gulfport for your scheduled PMs, they would void your warranty. That was a dealbreaker for me. Any time you are locked into a contract which states that you have to get your pm services at 1 specific shop, they can pork you at will. At every PM. And so, I never bother to even call them.

Had a friend of mine that was a big fan of Volvo. Had his heart set on a mid roof 880 with an 18 and a big Cumins. I don’t know where he was planning to get the truck from, but I warned him of the bait and switch. That’s when you travel to a dealer to get a truck and the truck has disappeared, and they offer you an inferior truck for basically the same money. You can warn someone until you’re blue in the face and they can still snag them with the bait and switch.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, my friend got on an airplane to go pick the 880 up, arrived, and no one knew what happened to the 880. He asked me what he should do and I told him to leave and find another truck elsewhere. Salesman calls him up, gave him a small sob story and a sunshine injection in Uranus, and he buys an inferior truck to the one he came for. Classic bait and switch.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    It's the self-isolation. They're getting lonely for male time. Think of it like closing time at the bar. lol

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    650cat425, Tug Toy, Eldiablo and 4 others Thank this.
  4. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Thinking y'all is taking OTS.?
    "Over 30 long hoods in stock!!" LoL
    I've perused a few of their rigs. The classic good from far, but far from good.. :confused:

5. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    @Brettj3876

A hard rattle knock like marbles in a coffee can starts around 20* advance. 22* injection adv is pretty hot on a dt466 or cummins 6BT, 6CT, and so forth. 26 and up is race diesel stuff on those. I cant say for sure on a big engine.. Never fooled with one and never touched a mack. Lazy stock base timing on a 466 is like 11-13. Id run 15-17 for year round if not too cold.

Advancing the injection pump timing starts the injection cycle sooner which allows more duration and more time to inject fuel. Also more time to find oxygen. Remember these are stratified charge engines so a big 4, 5, 6 etc way squirt of liquid fuel comes out the nozzle with each lift of the delivery valve. It takes time for that to be broken apart to mate with air. Liquid fuel deprived of oxygen smokes. So advancing the timing will reduce coal. A bigger turbo will also clear the smoke once spooled, thats why pullers roll coal until they spool and then clear. Granted some guys just love coal but thats stupid, itll burn in the exhaust and run the egt up too high. They SHOULD back the pump off so that full spool clears the smoke.

Highly advanced injection timing has its downsides. You are spraying fuel at a rising piston on the compression stroke. The fuel starts to combust and cylinder pressure is rising. The starter has to fight not only the static compression but also the rising combustion force. Cold starts are nearly impossible on really high timing.

Lugging the rpm down will tend to lift the head bolts and push gaskets out. Hence fire ringing being fairly necessary for hot rod mechanical diesels. But youll still be pounding on the upper half of the rod bearings and trying to beat the ring lands off. You dont wanna hear too many marbles, especially not slow ones. Bring the revs up and ease the cylinder pressure back to compensate in hard pulls.

If your egt is hot its too much fuel and/or too little turbo. A big turbo will keep the EGT in check. Like me spraying you in the face with a leaf blower. You wont complain that its 95* and humid outside.

This is a Bosch P pump? Or A? Post a clear pic of it if you can. The tag in back of the governor.. Whats on it? PESP6xxxxx ?

I dont know mack but ill be real surprised if a bosch product down have a peep hole and pointer somewhere to figure out your timing. You may have a cold start feature in the governor. With engine off hold it WOT then crank. If equipped, it backs off injection timing internally for easy starts then goes back to normal when you let go. The MW pumps on navistars with rqv governor have it. Mil trucks too. Dodge 215hp P pumps have retarder notches in the plungers to back the timing off at WOT too if i remember right.

Any internal mods? Barrels racked?

2CAN, MACK E-6, 650cat425 and 4 others Thank this.
  6. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    and one more thing. YOU are the governor when you start fueling up a mechanical pump. Itll self destruct at your command so watch the gauges and tune your ear. You need to lift.

7. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    E1ED2603-534C-4E5C-8B3B-7AED0836F0C1.jpeg

Back to Florence. Thanks for playing, Capital One Richmond :cool:

650cat425, Tug Toy, Eldiablo and 5 others Thank this.
  8. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

You have a hitchhiker!

650cat425, Tug Toy, Eldiablo and 4 others Thank this.
  9. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Sun is out, back to polishing. Had a emergency job come into the shop. Customer stated the bottom fell out when jumping on antique doll bed. Didnt understand that it was only for dolls. But customer is always right. She kinda haggled me on price. But we stiffened it up.
    20200513_131702.jpg

10. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    Another satisfied customer ??

11. Gliding ProStar

Gliding ProStar Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Waxahachie, Texas
    So this happened yesterday after I unloaded the Reynolds Scraper. It was super windy in King City, CA with the winds steady at 30mph and gusting to 45mph. I had the windows down while I was finishing up my paperwork and I hear what sounds like metal dragging the ground. I looked down to complete my Bill of Lading and the sound gets closer and louder but I couldn't identify exactly what it was coming from. I'm looking around to find the sound and I see this friggin' trailer rolling towards the nose of my truck. The metal dragging the ground was the dolly/hitch scraping the pavement because the high winds were pushing this trailer. The ranch hands or truck drivers didn't chock the wheels and here it comes directly at me.

I bailed out of the driver seat and started looking for something to stop this rolling trailer and I found a piece of square tubing. I ran to the trailer and dropped the tubing behind the rear tires and it stopped until the darn dolly turned and the dollys wheels kept rolling. The trailer finally stopped after turning sideways with the square tubing behind the tires.

When I took this picture I was standing in front of the grille of my Pete. I had to check my fundies after it stopped rolling. IMG_20200512_185244.jpg
    This was the square tubing I found laying against the building.

IMG_20200512_185257.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.