Where is everyone #5

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by DDlighttruck, Aug 27, 2017.

1. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    Is it the angle or does that W9 have really big pipes?

Oh you did just fine guy!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Thank you Sir.... he was a wonderful person. It is folks like him along with the kids make me push on to keep this tractor & engine show going.

4. MagnumaMoose

MagnumaMoose Lost or Missing

Jan 18, 2018
    How does it fire the power stroke ?

5. OLDSKOOLERnWV

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Now that’s a treasure!!

There is numerous steam engines at the Heritage Farm Museum where a bunch of us donate time. Each year is the spring fire up day, Myself and some friends work the Circular Sawmill. There is a Case steam engine being fixed at this time to put on the mill. Amazing the power steam has!!! If my memory is correct, it takes 30hp of internal combustion to equal 10hp of steam, that’s what is in my memory.

6. MagnumaMoose

MagnumaMoose Lost or Missing

Jan 18, 2018
    More torque in the steam than a I.C. engine can match ?

7. OLDSKOOLERnWV

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Looks like Spring Festival is May 4th this year. It’s like walking back into 1910. One of the early (electric trucks) is on display there too... battery operated from 1917?? Lot of cool stuff.

Heritage Farm, Huntington, WV

8. Czar_Zero

Czar_Zero Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Orebegone.
    One part of the Fair display was a replica sawmill that they ran in the "old way". I could watch that for hours. The thing that really draws me in about the old engines, be it steam or internal combustion is how practical they are. Not overly complicated, but worked hard and could run on #### near anything.

My father mentioned that on the farm/dairy where he grew up, they were using some of those old engines through WW2, because they just worked. Grandad was a machinist and steam engine mechanic. If stuff broke on the farm, he just made a new part and kept a lot of old "junk" running. Also used horses to work the fields into the '50's.

Was talking to him about these old engines and whatnot a few months ago. He mentioned "Oh, well you know, down in the canyon near the house where you grew up there were some antique pumps and engines just sitting down there by the creek"

"No, Dad, I didn't know that.... Makes me want to go down there and grab them"

9. OLDSKOOLERnWV

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Unlike internal combustion, steam is max torque from 0 to max rpm. And yes, it takes a BIG I.C engine to do the job of a small Steam engine. We usually run the mill at the Heritage Farm with a 60hp + farm tractor, couple years ago we ran it on 20hp of steam, done a great job too. I have some video here somewhere of the steam on the Sawmill if y’all would like to see it. Might get Shooter to help us?

10. OLDSKOOLERnWV

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    You should grab them before some junk hauler does! We ever get on a war and our satellites are taken out, folks be wishing they knew how to run this old stuff lol.

11. Isafarmboy

Isafarmboy Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Alberta
    Oilfield pump jacks have something like it around here.
    Put put put ...put put put....put put put ...
    All day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.