Where is everyone #5

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by DDlighttruck, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    Oh man, you never use hot water n soap on a cast iron.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    Ya,I know that now.... lol
    I have seen the light...

4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    So what do you clean it with??

5. Logan76

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    I heat mine up, scape them with a steel spatula, then apply oil to them as i heat and wipe clean.

A properly seasoned cast iron, it's very rare to have anything stick in them.

There's a seasoning process you can do with multiple heats and applications of oil.

If for some reason you had something stick and you couldn't get it to scrape and wipe clean you would use cold water with soap so you remove as little of the seasoning as possible.

6. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    My wife learned from a gal that would cook for ranch brandings. She could provide a fantastic meal for the crew where the stuff that was supposed to be hot was hot, and the stuff that was supposed to be cold was cold, and the brandings were typically an hour's drive from where the cooking was done. Some of the best meals I have ever eaten.

Anyway, she would clean cast iron with soap and water, and then season it by heating it with oil almost to the point of burning.

Myself, I just wipe it out with a paper towel, add oil, and heat.

7. Crusader66

Crusader66 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2016
    My wife does the same thing. She cooks just about everything in it, even fixed a meatloaf the other night in it.........delicious!

8. Logan76

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    Same here, cast makes a great meatloaf.

It's all we have is cast iron and a few pots.

Cast seems to add flavor to food.

shogun, snowman_w900, Tug Toy and 7 others Thank this.
  9. Crusader66

Oct 21, 2016
    The Pioneer Woman says the same thing so it must be true, lol.

That's actually where we bought out Cast irons was at her store.

10. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    My wife has made me promise to take her up to Pawhuska one of these days. I wouldn’t mind going myself just to check it out.

11. Crusader66

Oct 21, 2016
    It's actually pretty neat, I'd go again.

I guess one of them is usually there. Lad's dad eats there and visits a lot, one of her daughters works there too. We got lucky and met Ree and Lad, VERY down to earth people. Ree was signing autographs with her new book but my wife didn't want one, lol, but she was more than happy to take a picture with my wife and son anyway. While they were taking pic's she was talking with my son, messin with his hair and joking around with him and thanked us for coming in. We didn't eat at the restaurant because the line was so darn long, but heard it was pretty good, shoot, there was a line just to get in the Merchantile. Of course in a place like that everything is a little overpriced but it's still cool to go look around. When you go, hit the bakery upstairs......nuff said, lol. We saw the other day where her Hotel opened, it's across the street. I think they said it only has like 8 or 10 rooms and it's booked up for forever already. I'm sure that's real cheap too, lol.

On a sidenote. We were there just before Christmas on our way to Wooloroc. Don't know if you've ever been there during the holiday's but they have it fixed up pretty neat. Frank Phillips lodge house, a really nice and pretty good size museum, a petting barn, hay ride and a Cowboy holding a rifle on a horse and they are all outlined in white lights in a fenced in area, really cool. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.