Where should the gps be placed?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by iceman32, Aug 17, 2018.

1. iceman32

iceman32 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Trucker brown in YouTube got an oos. He was going through the list of violations and he mentioned gps unit is too low. He got a violation for that. I saw where his gps was placed and it’s high.

Is there a windshield or dashboard obstruction violation or something? My gps is mounted low on the windshield, right where I Can reach it. I once tried mounting it high and to me, that was just annoying and obstructing my view, especially at nights.

Out of all the scale houses and inspections I’ve been to, I’ve never got a mention on my gps mounting and placement...

JReding Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    I keep mine down in my cup holder don't like it on the windshield. .... my sirrus , is next to it. .... have a cup holder for coffee on the floor ..... keep the wine under the bunk

4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
  5. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Low in the center of the windshield. I let the bottom of the unit rest on the dash. Never had a problem. Can't stand things up high that are lit up, especially at night. Most nights I dim my GPS and ELD so they aren't visible at all.

DevJohnson Thanks this.
  6. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    In my previous truck i had a large drop visor on the truck, so I just mounted mine a bit higher on the windshield, since the top half was covered by the visor anyway. With my height, I didn't need to look up even though it was mounted "high" but it worked great. I did see that video though and never thought about getting grief for where my GPS was mounted. I would assume it depends on the officer and how good, or bad of day he/she was having that would dictate him/her mentioning such a thing, but either way, the #### they can get you for when it comes to these rigs is ridiculous.

Tb0n3 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. Buckeye 60

Apr 19, 2018
    did get a warning in Indiana for having seat belt around my bicep instead of my shoulder thought that was pretty chicken sheet

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    It seems like you can get a violation for anything these days.

WildTiger1990, Tb0n3, PE_T and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Buckeye 60

Apr 19, 2018
    I know 20 csa points it was a warning so can't fight it no fine anyways

10. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I just found this online.

Do you use suction cup windshield mounts to support your GPS or smartphone while driving? Did you know these mounts are illegal in many states? In fact, they are illegal in almost 70% of the United States!

Surprised? That may be because these laws aren’t always highly enforced, however, we can’t ignore them. Distracted driving is a top cause of automobile accidents. ProClip wants you to put safety first and keep both hands on the wheel. Read on to find a safe, legal mounting solution for the state(s) in which you drive.

States in Which Suction Cup Windshield Mounts Are Illegal
    • Alabama
    • Colorado
    • Connecticut
    • Delaware
    • Georgia
    • Idaho
    • Illinois
    • Louisiana
    • Maine
    • Montana
    • Nebraska
    • New Jersey
    • New Mexico
    • New York
    • North Dakota
    • Oklahoma
    • Oregon
    • Virginia
    • Washington
    • Washington, D.C.
    • West Virginia
    States with Laws that Restrict Windshield Mounting Location

There are a handful of states in which suction cup windshield mounts are legal, but the law states specific requirements on where the GPS unit or smartphone can be mounted on the windshield.

Restrictions on Type of Device

Other states restrict the type of device that is allowed to be mounted onto the windshield. Typically, GPS devices or other devices that display pertinent information to the driver are allowed, but they still cannot obstruct the driver’s view of the roadway.

• Florida
    • Michigan
    • Minnesota
    • New Hampshire
    • North Carolina

Placement on the Windshield

In the states below, GPS systems, toll payment systems and other safety monitoring equipment are permitted only when mounted as close to the bottom of the windshield as possible. Certain qualifications of these devices differ from state to state, so please check to see what your state allows.

• Arizona
    • Arkansas
    • California
    • Hawaii
    • Indiana
    • Maryland
    • Minnesota
    • Utah
    • Vermont
    • Wyoming

States In Which Suction Cup Windshield Mounts Are Legal

This leaves only a handful of states in which windshield suction cup mounts are legal, at least for now:

• Alaska
    • Iowa
    • Kansas
    • Kentucky
    • Massachusetts
    • Mississippi
    • Missouri
    • Nevada
    • Ohio
    • Pennsylvania
    • Rhode Island
    • South Carolina
    • South Dakota
    • Tennessee
    • Texas
    • Wisconsin

MachoCyclone and iceman32 Thank this.
  11. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Anything that blocks your view. Is going to get you a ticket. And you see it all the time. Giant Tablet for a GPS can block out a 747 from the drivers view. But have 5 different items blocking the drivers view.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.