Where to go next?

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Brothertrucker, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Brothertrucker

Brothertrucker Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2012
    I am 19 years old, have my Class A CDL with all endorsement ( except hazmat ofcourse), and I have been driving local for the last 5 months. When I turn 21 I will have right at 2 years of experience, but am not quite sure of which company I want to start my OTR career with. I have been pulling hoppers, tankers, some flatbed, and some dry vans, as well as hoppers with auger unloads. Been looking at Prime, Maverick, USA Truck, Melton, and Roehl, but am unsure of where I want to go when the time comes. If anyone can shed some more light on this for me, or tell me about other good companies that hire at 21, that would be great! [​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mdbluecrab

Mdbluecrab <b>Crusty Crab</b>

Feb 4, 2010
    White Plains, Maryland
    With 2 years under your belt at the ripe old age of 21, you'll be ahead of the game. Stay away from the companies that you listed as they'll treat and pay you as a rookie. If you like flatbed, that's what I would go with. Get some experience and work your way up to hauling oversized and wide loads and eventually to heavy haul where the money is. Get on the computer, do your research and you'll find a company to grow with. Good luck in your adventures.

4. cb72728

cb72728 Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2011
    OKLA
    Take each new learning experience one day at a time. Two years from now is going to take care of itself.

5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    You're doing your homework now,I like that.With some companies your 2 yrs exp won't count.They prefer 2 yrs OTR exp.So you may have to go out with a trainer.

6. Klatu

Klatu Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Argyle, TX
    If I was you, go talk to UPS. My brother works there. Your young. Go Big. They send him out for 250 miles or so. Then right back home. I wouldn't worry about OTR. Over rated. Keep driving close to home. Start getting seniority in. UPS. I think he makes $32.00 an hour. A young person can start there young, work there for the rest of their life. He's been there over 20 years. Good family money. Great benefits. .02 cents.

7. Brothertrucker

Aug 25, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement. I know trucking isnt an easy way to earn a living, and a lot of people discourage it. I have started a college degree, worked in a retail situation as a part time job with school, and I can honestly say that even with a not so great company that I am with now, I still like my job and love driving trucks. I want to drive OTR for a while, however, if my situation changes and I want to be home more, I will certainly try to get on with UPS, considering that I have heard nothing but good about driving for them. Thanks again and best of luck to you all as well.

8. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Where do you live? That's a good start to guide you in the right direction. There are a lot of smaller decent companies out here that at 2 years would take you.

9. Brothertrucker

Aug 25, 2012
    I live in southern IA, 30 min south of Des Moines. I'd definitely like to start with a good smaller company, if any will hire at 21. Im fine with being gone a lot while im younger regardless of where I work, but I figure I'll go to regional, or something to get me home a bit more frequently, later on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.